Chapter.3-The Shift

What is pain? I always thought that it was the body trying to tell you something is wrong. Some people think it is a really good way to make someone talk. Others think that it can be a perfect motivator. To all three opinions, I disagree. Pain is Hell.

Immediately after activating my ability, [Shift], intense pain racked my entire body. I felt every single bone in my body shatter. It was so painful that I could not even open my jaw to scream. Not that it would have mattered, as my jaw was currently in the process of reshaping itself, just like the rest of my body. It hurt even more than dying a slow death did.

My skin is being torn to shreds as fur replaced what was once there. A thick coat that made my think of the [Alpha Wolf]'s gray coat. It looked so pretty on the wolf. On me, it is ever so painful.

One by one, my bones pulverized and reshaped themselves to look like a wolf. One by one, pieces of my skin were shredded and replaced with a thick coat of fur. One by one, my limbs turned into wolf legs. My wolf tail and ears grew just a little bit during the entire process, till I looked like a real wolf.

All of this just took a second.

When I can focus without the pain, I realize that I am on my side, laying down. The [Alpha Wolf] that was next to me is gently sniffing my snout.

From what I remember of my years of grade school, wolves are supposed to only see in black and white. Or were those dogs? Either way, I can see in full color. And my vision is clearer then when it was when I was in my human form. I can see the insects scurrying around me like ants. I can pick out bugs from their camouflage.

My sense of sight is not the only one that has changed. My sense of smell jumped to at least 200% sensitivity. I can smell each and every individual wolf in the area around me. I can also smell the fresh rain and the plants that grow around here. I can smell the animals that roam the forest.

My sense of hearing has also increased. I can hear a deer racing away from the pack that is around me. I can hear that small creek from before, but now I realize that I am hearing a large river. I can hear the insects chirping and jumping around inside of the forest. I can hear water dripping off the leaves of the canopy above, like tear drops off of a face.

I'm sure if I were to test it, my sense of taste and feel would also be different. Maybe not better like my other three senses, but different.

I stand up... and fall back down to the ground. The [Alpha Wolf] huffs at me, almost as if he is laughing. He backs away and gives me some space.

I try again and stand up successfully... for a few seconds before falling back to the ground. It is way harder to stand on four legs then it looks.

This time I try to clear my mind and do stand without thinking about it... and I succeed. It seems like a certain amount of a wolf's instincts are in me. I can stand when I am not thinking about it, but as soon as I try to concentrate on standing, I fall over.

This will probably stop as I get used to being on four legs. I take a step forward... and I slam face, no, snout, first into the ground. I stand back up and do what I did when I stood up. I let my instincts take over and I find myself trotting around at a slow pace. Learning my lesson, I don't consciously think about putting one paw in front of the other as I step and walk around.

I stop for a second before tilting my head around and looking at my new body. My tail is the same bushy thing that was sitting in my lap, gently wagging around behind me. My fur is a dark black that could blend in with a shadow easily. I'm just a little bit slimmer than the [Alpha Wolf] that was sniffing at me earlier, but I am definitely taller. My paws have a ferocious set of claws on them, the kind that could tear anything to shreds in an instant.