Chapter.13-The Capital

I used [Gambler] as soon as I woke up. I got a singular piece of lettuce. One of the elves was staring at it hungrily, so I had the princess give it to him. [Gambler] leveled up after that. Now that I think about it, [Predator's Drive also leveled up. I need to see what those do. Also, Resald seems fine, so I guess [Sleeping Thief] just copies the abilities/skill onto me. That's a relief. It would be bad if it stole the ability from them. Not only would they know something happened, but they would probably hunt down and kill whatever stole from them.

It wasn't long before we arrived at the Royal Capital Walpist. We had almost stopped before, but Resald said we should push forward until we arrived. One of the people traveling with us chanted something for a few seconds and big balls of light appeared. They were a little dimmer than a lightbulb, but they were bright enough to see. The balls kept the darkness and most nocturnal critters away. As we were traveling, I realized that the princess was asleep most of the time. I have no idea how she did it, but she was sleeping on me without falling off.

The capital loomed in front of us. Even though we are still far awat, I can see it fairly clearly. The only reason I can tell it apart from other places is the bright lights.. If the location was natural, there would not be any lights. The acheticture of the Royal Capital is mainly trees that had been grown into the shapes of buildings. Occasionaly there is a few stone builidings, but they are fairly rare.

Princess Ilway, was asleep until we were about ten minutes away. Then, as if destroying a dam, she started spewing out information. I quickly glance around for help, but nobody seems to want to interrupt her. In fact, most of the guards distance themselves from us a more than usual. Cowards! If only Delphine or Ugrask were here, they would help, right? Too bad that they decided to stay in Port Elral.

The ten-minute journey felt like hours once the princess started talking. I did learn some useful information. Since the capital was destroyed originally, there wasn't a whole lot of practical knowledge about this place. The little I do know is mainly lore. The capital did not have a wall, but it did have a magic shield. The only way to get into the capital is through the main gate. The shield isn't there, so it is the only heavily fortified place, aside from the palace, in the capital.

Our merry band finally reached the main gate. There are about a dozen different caravans camped outside the gate. On top of and around the gate, dozens of elven defenders lurk. The guards on top are well trained in night vision magic according to Princess Ilway, so they do not have torches or it would ruin their vision.

Halfway through the trip, the group started wearing black cloaks. This made it easier to not get attacked by bandits. Previously they were attacking us because they saw we were from the Royal Capital. They didn't know what we were escorting, but they assumed we were carrying something worth a lot.

A few caravans and group glanced at us before looking away. From their gazes, I think they probably thought that we are just another group, trying to get into the city. They knew that it was foolish to try to get into the city after dark. The guards wouldn't even accept bribes.

We go up to the gate before we are stopped by a guard, "Halt! We do not allow travelers into the city after dark. You need to either leave or camp out like the rest of the groups."

Princess Ilway motions me forward, so I walk up to the guard. I can see his eyes widen when looking at me. Most people in this world knew that if the mount was anything other than a horse, the person riding was considered important. Usually they were carriages, but if it was something else, the person is very important.

The princess talks quietly to the guard, "Don't make a scene. We don't want anyone to know we are here yet." She pulls her hood back just enough to show off her face.