- 27 -

A gentle waft of snow floated down onto the brick balcony as the sun was settling low in the sky.

Domingo watched it settle quietly, eyes following every wispy flake.

I studied him, watching the hard set of his shoulders accompanied by the splendor dazzling in his face.

"It's so mesmerizing. No two the same, so gentle yet brutal."

He whispered, motioning to the frosted window pane. I shrugged, Staring dejectedly at the ceiling.

"It's nothing new to me"

I remarked, snuggling my chin farther into the folds of the blanket.

Growing up in Moscow quickly accustomed me to the biting tongue of winter. And the endless cascade of snow, treks of ice. But here, against the glittering lights of the Eiffel Tower. Through the spindly naked branches of the ever reaching trees, it was surreal. From my vantage, the carefully powdered window gave the illusion that I was trapped inside the brittle confines of a child's snow globe, sitting forgotten on a warm families mantle anxious for the curious eye to come and give me a well needed shake.

A beautiful prison.

I could feel his eyes on me.

"Sorry, it doesn't get like this often. Back home."

He offered me a pleading grin, yet I turned away. I knew soon that I would be boarding a jet to whisk me back to my cage, and I wretched with the uncertainty of what awaited me.

The morning that Jakob had left had been tumultuous. His goodbyes were said by a slamming door. I tried tirelessly to reach him. But my calls were disconnected all the same.

I had retreated to the beguiling safety of my bed and cried silently until I slipped into a brisk unconsciousness. A sharp knock on my door had snapped me back to fruition, hope chiding me that he had stayed instead, but I was dutifully disappointed when I revealed Domingo standing in the hall.

I knew I wouldn't be allowed here unsupervised. He had reassured me - greatly - that I was to stay as long as I'd like, he was merely here for my convenience.

He didn't have to tell me what I already knew.

So I stayed, wandering aimlessly through the city for three more weeks before I realized it was to concede and face what I had been running so abjectly from.

Even now, as i watched winter swell through the air I felt the hesitance to go. Truthfully the city was growing bored on me. Only so much to see and do before the shiny new wears off and it is just another ancient land with spires and art and...

Normal people.

But I felt serene amongst them. I didn't want to come back to the land of stone walls and blooming gardens. Men dressed in black and secrets whispered through the hallways.

"Domingo"

He looked at me expectantly, elbows perched on his knees.

"Will you come lay with me?"

His face clouded in concentration.

"I- um, I don't know if that- is that ok?"

I rolled my eyes.

"I didn't mean it in that way."

I raised my brow at him, waiting.

After a moment he let out a heavy breath and stood. He slipped off his leather mules and crawled hesitantly into the warm hands of the bed, ensuring a well distance between us. He settled back against the pillows, arms crossed over his chest signaling his discomfort.