- 20 -

I had seen little of Luca. Noting more than a pass of hands, a longing glance from another room. A slight wave from a passing car widow. 

Even on the flight home, sitting 4 feet apart, It seemed that we were in different orbits, separate galaxies. 

We had arrived home and I was consoled with nothing more than a soft kiss to my cheek, reprieved with a trace of his thumb over my lips before he retired to his room. 

I didn't understand it. What had changed? Was it the simple fact that the thrill of the chase was over, and now it was nothing more than the lion pawing at a decaying antelope. Unappealing. 

I clung to every ounce of attention that was dropped in my bowl, hanging on the edge of his last words, careful brush of his skin against my own. 

Fuck, I was losing my mind. Maybe this behavior wasn't exclusively internal as I had once thought, and my mind raced with the idea that that was the offset that I was experiencing. 

Even now, waiting, I checked my phone persistently, waking the screen the moment it flashed black. Hoping for a text. A call. 

"Is this seat taken?" 

I looked up from my insanity, smiling at Jakob as He rounded the table. 

He sat gracefully across from me, returning my smile. 

He looked good, slender body dressed in a grey suit, blue eyes shining clearly. The silver glint of his Longines watch caught my eyes. 

"You look smashing." 

He said, eyeing his menu, carefully glancing at me. 

I let my nail trail over the edge of the laminated paper, biting the inside of my cheek. 

I knew he was lying. I looked tired. Defeated. 

"Thank you." 

I replied softly. 

He arched a pensive brow, still perusing his menu. 

"What's on your mind." 

He asked sharply. I shrugged. 

Truthfully, I was grateful to have received his invitation this morning. Surprised surely, but nonetheless I craved the report that we held. 

A finely dressed waitress halted me, speaking to us quietly. Jakob ordered a Benedict with a grapefruit wedge and a cappuccino with heavy cream. And an orange scone with honeyed almonds. 

My eyes went wide at his request, gaze flicking to him and his slender build. Where did he out this appetite? 

She turned to me, pen pressed into the paper expectantly. 

"Just a coffee black." 

I said, handing her the menu. Jakob's piercing gaze shook me, and I held up my finger. 

"And a bagel." 

Another penetrating stare. 

"With cream cheese?" 

He settled me with a sly grin, and she turned away from us. I took a sip from my water, looking anywhere but at him. 

"My question remains." 

He implied, hands folding on the table in front of him. 

I took a breath, opening my mouth for my retort. I promptly shut it, troubled with what to say. 

Instead, I laughed. 

He looked me in the face, eyes searching my face, trying to decode my behavior.