- 2 -

I can hear the ocean.

It's faint, but I know the gentle lap of water cresting the sand. And the screeching caw of gulls sweeping over the sapphire waters.

I hadn't heard the ocean in a year.

Warm sun fanned over my face, buttery silk draped over my bare skin. My eyes fluttered open to see a woman, her dark olive eyes prodding me. I sat up with a jolt, a slamming spear of pain splitting through my head. I felt a hurrying wave of nausea grip me.

"Easy."

She said, calmly.

"Where am I?"

I croaked, my throat tight.

She pursed her red lips together. She was unnervingly beautiful, with smooth tanned skin and dark brown hair that fell perfectly over her bare shoulders. Those eyes were mesmerizing, and she had a beauty mark on her cheek.

"Yelena, you need to rest."

She tucked the sheets tightly over my chest.

"How do you know my name?"

"I know all of Misters business."

With a delicate hand she smoothed back my hair.

"Rest now. Later I will send for some clothes and dinner"

"Where are my clothes?"

I asked, hands curling the sheets closer to my chest. She draped a light blanket over the end of the bed.

"I've sent them to be laundered."

"Oh."

She sat carefully beside me, her slender hand taking mine.

"I'm Imelda, please do not be afraid of me."

I studied the careful lines around her giving smile.

"If you need anything, please ask."

I cleared my hoarse throat.

"Water would be nice."

She reached across me, a gold rosary slipping from her supple breast. It tickled across the plain of my chest, the warm metal glinting beautifully in the setting sun. I was offered a heavy crystal glass, half filled. I took a feeble sip, my head spinning.

"Please rest now, he will want to see you when you're feeling better."

I sat up straighter.

"He?"

She grasped my hand again.

"You will be very happy here Yelena, you just have to give it a chance."

I tapped my broken nail against the ridges of the glass. She stood, smoothing the fabric of her white dress.

"Your clothes will be here soon, I've hoped I picked something to your liking. I will send someone with a light fare, go at your own pace. The bathroom is through there."

She said, pointing to a shaded corridor just to the left of the bed.

"If you need anything, just ring this."

She cooed, producing a fine silver tea bell. She placed it on the night table, its gleaming surface taunting me. She took the glass from my grasp, placing it next to that bell.

"Now lie back."

I nodded, falling into the nest of pillows.

"Ciao Bella"