- 16 -

Imelda smelled like amber and sunshine.

A feeling of home.

She carefully tucked away a light jumper in my neverfull, offering me a smile.

"I'd be bold to assume things are better, no?"

I smiled to myself in the mirror.

"You assume correctly,"

I smoothed my hands over the soft white cotton of my sun dress. I had paired it with a nude suede espadrille wedge and dainty golden hoops. My hair was tied back by a robin blue linen scarf.

My face had a new radiance, eyes clear and blue and holding exuberance. Cheeks softly sun kissed and lips hot and rosy.

I was a new person.

Imelda came behind me, holding my luggage.

"I told you, baby. Just give him a chance."

I took my things from her with a small reluctance. I knew that part of me was still worrisome that he was the wolf in shepherds clothing that I had known him to be, but for once I ignored those thoughts. I was willing to succumb to the blissful ignorance.

She grasped my hand.

"I will see you in a week, I hope this trip brings you what you've been looking for."

I squeezed her fingers, smiling at her.

"Me too."

~

He was on his phone, typing, staring.

I sat beside him, watching silently as the scenery blurred by. Every few minutes I would meet our drivers dark gaze in the rearview mirror.

I'd grown tired of scrolling through twitter, and I had resorted to picking at the dark polish on my fingers.

He sighed, leaning his head back agains the rest, phone still planted in front of his face.

I stretched my leg, placing it over my knee. His eyes wavered, focusing on the slight rise of my dress.

I grinned.

"Hey,"

I whispered.

He raised a brow.

"What are you doing?"

"Working."

He replied, tucking his hand behind his head.

"You're always working."

I murmured.

"How else am I supposed to afford your habits?"

He said, nudging my Louis with his knee.

I pursed my lips.

I reached over, plucking the phone from his hands. Discarding it on the seat between us, he glowered.

I unbuckled my seatbelt, challenging him with the raise of my brow.

With a scoot, I slid over his lap, the anger in his eyes quickly diminished, replaced by delight. A wide smile spread over his lips. His strong hands grabbed my waist, anchoring me to him.

"What are you doing?"

He asked, breathless.

"I'm not doing anything."

I said, shrugging.

I ran my finger delicately over his lips, his heavy hooded eyes aglow with pleasure.