- 23 -

He answered on the third ring, sleep thick voice reverberating against the silent night.

"H-Hello?"

I sat silently, contemplating hanging up. This was dangerous, even for my sake. But I knew that Oi couldn't stir in this alone. That could be lethal.

"Hello? Is anyone there?"

"Jakob..."

I whispered. I heard a rustling from his line, like he was shooting out of bed.

"Yelena! You sound sad."

I smiled to myself. It was ironic that my mood could be heard, although it seemed that seeing it was nearly impossible.

"I am."

I choked, a well of sadness shrouding me. I wasn't concerned with tears now. I had cried far too many.

"He's leaving. New York. For God knows how long."

I could almost see that pull of those brows.

"Safe travels I assume, If you could, I'd fancy one of those shirts with the apples on them. It could be a a big hit on my next brokers retreat."

I laughed, shaking my head.

"Just him."

"Oh."

Delight painted his words.

"What do I do?"

I said quietly, watching the stars ripple over the sea.

He sighed.

"Well I suppose you can stay there, waiting for more torture. Or you can spread your wings, and for once do something for yourself. The choice is yours little birdie."

I pursed my lips, mind silently wracked in thought.

"Where am I supposed to go? I have no one."

He laughed softly, a gallant lilt.

"That's not true."

"Still,"

There was a pause between us, and I hoped, more than anything that an answer would fall from the heavens.

"Do you trust me?"

He asked.

I didn't know the answer. I supposed for the most part, I did. He was still aloof to me, a perfect stranger that had waltzed so gracefully into my life. I cringed, skin reeling.

I hadn't learned my lesson yet about those strangers.

"To an extent."

He drew in a breath.

"If you want to get away little bird. Meet me here, 11AM. If you're there then all the better, If you choose not. Well, I won't take it personally. My people will take care of his. Nothing on your back now is it?"

"I'll, I'll think about it."

"Please do, I think it would be a decision for the best,"

He yawned, trying his hardest to stifle the sound.

"Jakob,"

I asked.

"Yes?"

I felt a smile pull on my lips.

"Thank you. For seeing me."