A Starry Night (Jinyoung)

"What are you standing there for? Come here."

You bite your lip and force a smile. The library is closing in a couple of minutes, and Jinyoung-sunbae must be itching to go home. You just had to bother him for this last time. It's the last day of school and your Literature Club sunbae will be graduating.

You're going to miss looking for books with him in the school library. You're going to miss staring at his serene face as he lets his thoughts get lost in what he's reading. You're going to miss bothering him. Oh, how you bother him with your nonstop chatter and teasing.

"Where's the book you're returning? Give it now so we can go home."

You pout and fish out the book, handing it to Jinyoung who gives it to the librarian. He motions you to sign the return slip and you try to slow down as much as you can. How you wish you have a longer name.

"So, what are you planning to tell me?" Jinyoung asks as you walk out of the school, the setting sun painting the surroundings orange. IT's such a fitting scene for saying goodbye to the sunbae you've admired for the past two years.

"I just... want to congratulate you for graduating."

"The graduation is at the end of the month. Why are you saying this now?"

You can't look at him. "Well, it's not like I can still talk to you after this. You'll be off to college."

"You have my phone number." His brow is raised again.

"And what if you don't want to talk to me?"

"What made you think that?"

"You never say anything when I talk to you. You're just always glaring at me."

Jinyoung laughs. You look up and see him smile for the first time in two years. Well, he does smile when talking to other people, but with you, he always looks troubled. You are even sure at some degree he hates you. He's just polite enough to entertain your dumb tricks and accompany you when you pester him.

"I can't say anything when I'm with you," you hear him say. He looks back to you with soft eyes. "You make me speechless."

"Speechless in like a bad way? Cause I'm too stupid for you to comprehend?"

"Silly," he grins and puts a hand over your head. Oh, God. "You just make me wish I'm as outspoken as you. Maybe if I was, you wouldn't be here doing this on your own."

"Doing what?"

He shakes his head and puts his hand down. "Secret."

"Sunbae! You're still tricky as ever! You always say confusing things."

"It's not confusing. You just need to learn to read between the lines. You will be the head of the Literature Club next year. Be a little deeper."

"I am deep!"

"Really now? Say something deep then."

You look around. You should be able to say something meaningful. Ah! "The sunset is perfect in this moment. A sign of goodbye, a beautiful goodbye. Perfect for parting with a beautiful person."

You see Jinyoung look up. He doesn't answer right away, taking in the orange sky. "Right. It's a beautiful time to say goodbye."

Now you're sad again. Stupid you to remind yourself that.

"But you know what's after this beautiful sunset?"

You look at Jinyoung who is smiling at the sky.

"A starry night. Which is beautiful too. So maybe, the sunset doesn't mean goodbye. Rather, it prepares you for a new kind of beauty."

Damn, you really can't rival Jinyoung-sunbae's depth. It's one of the most attractive features of him.

"Hey, if you want to know the secret from earlier, why don't you call me on my graduation day?"

You blink. Jinyoung-sunbae wants you to call him? On his graduation day?

"Maybe that day, with my high school days ending, I'll get the courage to start something. I hope."