ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔼𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥

I fell face-first into my bed once I got home. My body was still warm from the blood, and I couldn't help but compare it to the warmth I felt from Lucian. He was a lot warmer, of course, but it was easier to compare it to him, than Kieran.

My eyes flew open.

Why was I comparing anything to either of them? One was a werewolf who hadn't paid me any attention until recently when he "needed" my help. The other was a self-assured ass hat vampire who admitted to being interested in me for the simple fact that I was a half vampire and wasn't sired to anyone.

Regardless, I'd have to deal with the two of them until Lucian found his wolf. I would need to figure out if Kieran had him sooner, rather than later. Not even twenty-four hours in, and I wanted to go back to the way things were before when the only thing I had to worry about was being called fake on the internet and raising the dead occasionally.

I checked my bank account and hummed when I saw the amount deposited. Apparently helping solve a murder investigation had its perks. They gave me twice the amount I normally got from family members wanting to speak to their dead relatives one last time.

It almost made everything that night worth it.

Almost.

The silence in my house was almost too much. Like there would be something that would come along and ruin it at any moment, even though it was the dead of night and anyone normal would be sleeping. I thought plenty of times about getting an animal to have in the house, because I rarely left. But the days I did leave, I left for a while and I didn't know anyone who I could trust to house and animal sit.

It was also incredibly difficult to find an animal that liked me. Cats hated me, and I was so allergic to them that, even if I could find one that liked me, my throat would close up within seconds of me touching one. Most dogs cowered around me like I was some sort of monster. And small animals weren't my thing. So if I got anything, it would be a fish or a snake. But those two things didn't make enough noise for me to even bother.

So I was left with a whole lot of nothing. Again.

I rolled over and stared up at my ceiling, studying the swirling design against the white until I fell asleep.

When I woke up, it was to my phone buzzing at the ungodly hour of six o'clock in the morning. I really needed to put that shit on silent, or put it in another room.

"Hello," I asked, rubbing my eyes.

"Did I wake you?" Lucian actually seemed somewhat regretful of that fact.

"I don't get why people ask that when it's obvious." I sat up and glared at the still-dark sky. One should not go to bed when it was dark and wake up when it's dark. It's just not right. Also, three hours of sleep? I was going to be a peach that day.

"I can call later," he said. "I didn't realize you'd still be asleep."

"Who wakes up at six on a day they don't have to work," I asked. "Regardless, I'm awake now. Does this have to do with Jason?"

"Yes." He was starting to sound a little less regretful and a little more like an alpha worried for someone in his pack. "Also, I need you to meet my pack. Some of them are hesitant to have you in our folds, even a little bit."

I laughed. "Ah, yeah. A vampire helping wolves wouldn't bring up the best of feelings in those who still believe vampires are the devil."

"Half vampire," he corrected. "But, yes. Pretty much. I like to make sure they feel comfortable."

My eyes widened slightly as my lip twitched into a small smile. He said half vampire.

I had a sudden urge to buy him a cookie and call him a good boy for remembering. Or would that be inappropriate and viewed as rude?

I stood up from bed and walked to my kitchen so I could get a cup of coffee.

"When do you want me there," I asked, placing my cup beneath the spout before clicking the on button. I always got my Keurig ready the night before, and I never thanked myself for that until right then.

"Before noon," he said. "Get some more sleep, Nova. I feel bad for waking you up."

It dawned on me that he probably thought I was awake because of the whole vampire thing. A lot of vampires stayed up during the night and slept most of the day because their powers were more potent during the night time. They didn't burn in the daylight like some people thought. They just didn't prefer it because they were weaker.

Vampires walked the streets at all times of the day and night. There was no way to tell who was what in that regard.

I hung up the phone and leaned against the counter, then grabbed my coffee and took a sip. If I fell back asleep, I'd probably sleep past noon. If I was supposed to make a good impression, I needed to be there on time.

Also, I realized I didn't know where I was supposed to go to meet his pack. I knew the general area, but not where the hideout was.

I figured he'd tell me, if he really needed me there.

I decided to clean up around my house a little, forcing the exhaustion to the back of my mind until later that night. I just hoped he didn't expect me to stay up and help him that night, because it wasn't going to happen. My plan was to be in bed by seven at the latest.

I had great plans in life.

By the time I was finished cleaning, only an hour and a half went by and I could only stare at the clock like it had committed some heinous crime.

Noon couldn't come fast enough if it tried.