ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔽𝕠𝕣𝕥𝕪 𝕊𝕚𝕩

The more I thought about it, the more I felt like I was being babysat by two wolves and a vampire. The almost literal handoff from Kieran to Lucian and Kyler reminded me of a mother dropping off her kid to a babysitter. And the babysitters immediately knew something was off.

Lucian's eyes met mine, then moved to Kieran.

Not that I had anything to hide, since I wasn't in a relationship with any of them - contractual or otherwise - but I did shower and made sure to wash every part of me that Kieran had touched. I knew Lucian and Kyler had a good sense of smell, but there should have been no reason that they could.

"I'll be back in the morning," Kieran said, moving past the two werewolves in the entrance. "Don't train too hard."

Kyler's eyebrows raised as he turned and watched the vampire leave my house. Lucian, however, continued to stare me down like he could see the world's secrets if he looked long enough.

When the door shut, I held up my phone. "I have to go raise a body in a few hours. Do you want to come, or stay here?"

Lucian checked his watch. "We'll come."

His response was short and to the point, and never once did he look at me. The first and the last time he did was to stare me down like he wanted to kick my ass.

So he knew. And he wasn't happy about it. For some reason, that ticked me off.

"What's wrong with you?" I crossed my arms.

Kyler sighed.

"What?" Lucian finally looked at me. "You think something is wrong by my saying two words?"

I raised my eyebrows. "If I wasn't sure before, I am now. You don't need to be here, Lucian. This babysitting bullshit was your idea. I doubt there's even a threat anymore."

His eyes narrowed. "I'm here to protect you."

"Do I need protection from something that may or may not exist?" I shrugged. "For all we know, your wolf could have been lying about that part. And I haven't seen a threat at all before or since then."

Kyler looked like he wanted to say something, but he bit his bottom lip and kept his mouth shut. He knew something that I didn't, but I was too wrapped up in the nonsense attitude Lucian suddenly had.

Did werewolves have a time of month? That was probably something I needed to look up and see. There was a full moon soon, which could have been the cause. There was another possibility, but I didn't want to entertain it because it would never work.

"Yeah," Lucian nodded, "sure. But the leech can stay whenever he wants, huh?"

I blinked. "Excuse me?"

"I couldn't see the mark you put on him," he motioned towards my neck, "but I can see the mark he put on you. Hell, even if I couldn't, I can smell the guy on you."

The fucking alpha werewolf was jealous. I needed to keep a damn journal so I could write down all of the unexpected crap I dealt with. They had more problems than any woman I knew.

On another note, if what Lucian said was true, when Kieran and I were in the shower, he marked me at the end. I couldn't help it when I marked him. He could, and marking me as his was way out of line.

"Lucian," I couldn't help but sound dumbfounded, "I'm not your luna. I'm not your mate. We are not in a relationship."

I didn't wonder if that was harsh until after I said it. The words, though said carefully, still seemed to make him react like I'd punched him. His entire body stiffened like I physically assaulted him and he wasn't sure if he wanted to accept it or retaliate.

I dialed Kieran's number and put the phone to my ear.

He answered on the second ring.

"Question for you," I said, narrowing my eyes at the door he just walked out of not five minutes prior. "Do you have something you'd like to share?"

"Unlike the wolf," Kieran said smoothly, like he was waiting to use the joke, "I don't share. I'm allowing it to happen because you're not mine, but-"

"But nothing," I cut him off. "You had absolutely no right to mark me as yours. None at all."

The stiffness in Lucian's body went away slowly, and his eyes softened. Oh, good, his misunderstanding was cleared up. Fantastic. So glad.

Kieran sighed, but made no move to apologize or say he was wrong. His line went silent, except for the sounds of his car. But why would he apologize? He probably didn't feel any remorse whatsoever.

I didn't know what marking meant. I did it by accident to both Kieran and Lucian when I fed from them, but the fact that Kieran did it knowingly didn't sit right with me. He knew what he was doing when he did it.

"Stay away from me," I said. "Until this mark fades, stay away from me."

I didn't know the effects of being marked as a vampire, by a vampire. I didn't want to risk anything.

"Lucian can't protect you on his own," he said. "He has other business to attend to that doesn't involve you. He's the alpha of a werewolf pack."

"Kieran," I said, my hand tightening around the phone, "please."

I hung up and threw my phone into my kitchen table, glaring at Lucian. While Kieran had no right to mark me, Lucian had no right to treat me like I was anything but my own person. Neither he, nor Kieran, owned me.

"And you," I pointed at him, "if I knew you'd be so problematic after we had sex, I would have never done it with you."

Kyler sputtered and excused himself from the room, covering his mouth to hide his grin from Lucian. His shoulders were bouncing slightly in laughter as he walked past, and his eyes glittered in amusement when they met with mine before he disappeared around the corner.

"He laughed," Lucian said, staring after his second in command.

"I would too." I raised my eyebrows.

"I'm sorry." He shrugged. "I'm not good at sharing with someone not in my pack. I'm...protective of what I feel is mine."

Even if I knew what to say to that, I wouldn't have been able to open my mouth and voice it. I don't think he knew what he just said, and I wasn't inclined to repeat it, even if my mind was racing.

What he felt was his? He thought I was his? When did that become a thing?

"What are you raising a body for," Lucian asked, moving past me like he hadn't just admitted to thinking that I was actually his.

"The cop from last time has another murder case." I decided to let it go too. He might not have meant it that way anyway, and even if he did, he didn't seem inclined to grow on that conversation.

Kyler was sitting on my couch, his eyes on my television. When we walked into the room, he turned his head and looked at us, smiling slightly in greeting.

"Also," I said, "I scared the rookie cop last time I raised a body, and I told him I'd bring my dog to make up for it."

Kyler's eyebrows raised, and Lucian stiffened. I didn't have to look at him to know he was glaring at me, waiting for the obvious.

I pursed my lips, trying to force the laugh back. "So...who wants to be my puppy tonight?"