CHAPTER 33

"What do mean my mother and Rick aren't here?" I ask him.

"I told you, we haven't found your mother yet and I thought Rick was with you guys when he left," He answers.

"Yes, he was with us but as you said he left," Sam says. "Did he never come here?"

"No," Nathan replies, "Or else we would have informed you guys."

"But my mother-"

"Evy?" My uncle calls me. I turn around to see him grinning at me. "Oh thank my houses, but what are you doing here? I told you to stay hidden until we find the mole."

"I know," I mumble, "By any means, has my mother contacted you?"

"Caroline?" He frowns, "No, we haven't found her yet."

"Told you," Nathan adds.

"Then why would she tell me so?" I whisper.

"Tell you what?" My uncle asks.

"S-she contacted me and said she's with you guys and that you found the mole," I say and their eyes go wide.

"And the mole is no one but Rick," Sam completes and they look like they just saw a ghost.

"What?" Nathan asks more confused now.

"Yes, she did," I nod my head.

"But why would she do this?" My uncle narrows his brows, "Why would she lie to you?" He asks.

"I never lied," I hear a known voice behind me, "I am here." My mother smiles.

A grin appears on all of our faces but it fades as soon as our gaze shifts behind her. All of us turn pale looking at the dead army standing there. They have sabotaged every tent in here, we are once again trapped by them.

"Mother?" I whisper.

"That's right, it's me, my dear, I planned a little surprise for you on your birthday, so did you like it?"

"Caroline!" My uncle yells, "I should have known, I should have never trusted you!"

"Oh shush," My mother folds her hands, "You are ruining my surprise here. By the way, I brought you a gift."

The soldiers part their way and one of them drags a pale and tired man who is wounded badly and is struggling to breathe. My heart drops as I look in those familiar eyes. Rick.

As I take a step to rush beside him my mother gestures me to stop, "I didn't say you can have him," She pulls him from his collar and I close my eyes. Warm tears run down my cheeks.

So it was my mother who had contacted him. If I tell you the truth it would break you, shatter you apart and I can't watch you breaking apart. Oh, Rick.

A group of soldiers head in our direction and leading them is no one but Theo. Sam stumbles back in disbelief and Nathan helps her to gather herself.

"You bastard! You utter bastard!" She curses him but he doesn't seem to care. Behind him are Kate and Laura captured and they shove them towards us.

"I trusted you boy," Kate glares at Theo but he doesn't answer.

"Happiest birthday darling," My Mother says and I open back my eyes.

A single word escapes from me, "Why?"

"Why?" She laughs wildly, "Because this Empire took away the one thing that was the closest to me, my one and only love."

"Caroline," My uncle starts, "William was not murdered by Edward, he was killed by your parents so that after he was gone, you would agree to marry Edward."