CHAPTER 26

"Rick," I start, "I'm so confused right now, let's start from the beginning, shall we?"

He shakes his head and says, "All you need to know is I have to go and I can't come back to you, you have to forget me, you have to forget that I ever existed."

"I-I cannot understand a word you are saying right now," I stutter, "Forget that you existed? Are you saying this because of what happened last night between us? If yes, then let just clear things out."

He turns back toward Sam and Henry and they understand the signal. They both nod their heads and leave his room.

"Rick," I say covering my face with my hands, "Please stop playing games with me, this is not funny."

"This is not a game Evy," I let my hands fall. "It also has nothing to do with yesterday, I would never regret that night, I would never regret us. You have no idea how much have I waited and drained my patience for this to happen, for us to happen."

"If ' us' matters so much to you," I say, "Why do you want to leave? Stay with me." 

"I don't want to leave, I have to leave." He answers. 

"All right," I fold my hands, "Why do you have to leave?"

"To save you damn it!" He exclaims.

"Save me?" I frown, "What the hell are you saying? Are you going to kill Ezuka for me? Alone?"

"I would have done it a long time ago if that was possible," He replies. 

"So from whom on earth are you trying to save me if not Ezuka?" I ask.

"I can't tell you." 

I shake my head in frustration, "Oh Rick, you better be kidding me right now. I literally have no idea what to do or say to you. You've gone insane."

"Am I?" He comes a step closer to me, "Try and think Evy, why were your powers not working on me? Why couldn't you heal me?"

"That's what I'm trying to say, I don't know why my magic won't work on you," I answer.

"Think!" He exclaims.

"Well, I'm trying too!" I exclaim too.

"When do one's powers get cancel?" He tries and gives me some hints and after a few minutes, the answer hits me like a rock.

"When you are countered with the powers of Spirit," It comes out more like a whisper. 

"Exactly!" He exclaims again. 

"So that's the reason my magic won't work? Silly me, should have thought about it before. So who was it?"

"You have to trust me on this one Evy."

"Trust you? Bullshit!"

"Seriously? On your one word I left all of the people that mattered to me and followed you blindly not questioning you once."

"That was different!"

"I think you are wrong."

"Do you hear yourself right now? It seems like you are on some kind of suicide mission when you say you aren't going to come back, it literally feels that you are going to be dea-" The words die in me, "Don't you see it? I don't even have the strength to say those words and you are expecting me to experience it?"

"If there was any other way, believe me, I would have considered it."

"Oh, so now you are going to use my spells on me?" I ask. "Wait, was it Allston?"