CHAPTER 10

Rick offers me a glass of water or should I say ice. "You expect me to drink this or should I make some shake, this is just ice." I snap.

"I need you to calm down." He replies.

"With the help of ice?"

"Yes pour it over your head, that would help turn it back into water, the temperature's too high out here," Sam says sitting next to me, our shoulders brushing. We are still inside the library, which looks like it was attacked by a dragon.

"Hey, are you good?" I ask her, she has changed into clean clothes now.

"I am fine, Victor healed me, but you, how did you do it? You were a total badass out there girl!" She exclaims.

"It's true, books do change people." Rick laughs and I roll my eyes.

"Funny, because when I found you guys with her, one of you was slumping and the other was passed out," I say.

"I'll hit you with a knife once and see how you keep up," Sam replies.

"I guess ' hitting with a knife ' is what we call 'stabbing', don't we?" I laugh.

"I lost a lot and I mean a lot of blood." She snaps

"So let me see, the side effects of losing blood . . . Hmm, losing your vocabulary?" I tease.

"We'll talk when your time comes." Saying so she storms out, slamming the door, leaving Rick and me laughing behind.

I have known Rick for almost a week now, but it feels different around him, it feels like somewhere deep down, he quite understands me, knows me and I don't know the reason why? Whenever I look into his deep eyes, I find a mystery inside them and my heart somehow craves for the answer. And with that mystery comes pain, but then again who in this world is not familiar with pain.

"Hey, you seem lost." He brings me back from the thought.

I shake my head, "No. . . Was just wondering about your eyes, don't call me creepy, but they are . . ." I wonder what should I say next, there is so much to tell.

"Blue?" He completes.

"Rare," I answer and his smile fades. "Not just any blue like ocean or sky, it's more like, Egyptian blue, mysterious as it is."

"You find them mysterious?" He asks quietly.

I nod. "Yes, I do."

"This is odd." He chuckles. "I got these from our mother." He sits beside me. "My sister would always fight with my mother over them, that she loved me more than her and so she gave these eyes to me as a gift and not her. The reason she craved for them so badly was . . . " He wraps his hand around mine."She found them mysterious and she used to love mysteries." He whispers.

I don't breathe, everything inside me stops. Something inside me also aches badly.

"I didn't mean to hurt you," I whisper.

"Hey no, you did not, Evy, you are one of the people I'm glad that I crossed paths with."

I offer him a small smile, "Would you like to talk about her? I mean only if you want to."

"Well right now you just need to know that her name was Grace, she was beautiful, stubborn, annoying, independent and the most fearless women I have seen in my entire life." As he goes on my heart starts to fill up with warmth again, it makes me miss Jason more, but when he completes telling everything, my heart splits into two pieces.

". . . And in the end she was taken away from me, forever." All the warmth vanishes and something inside me drops, making my body go cold.

Before I ask him anything further, the doors burst open and a girl comes in yelling Rick's name and when she spots him, she runs towards us and throws her hand around him, giving him a tight hug and I mean so tight I bet he's choking. I swallow a laugh.