Chapter 8-Present

"You're kidding," Amara's voice said over the phone, her gasp audible. "Tell me you did not invite your ex-boyfriend to live with you for three months."

I sat on the corner of my bed, the L.A. sunshine beaming through the windows. I had just gotten back from the airport and the afternoon heat was already unbearable. When I didn't say anything, Amara said, "Oh my God, you're not kidding."

I sighed, one hand clutching the phone and the other holding up my forehead. "Technically our moms said it would be a good idea. How backwards is that?"

"So weird. I could've paid a bit more rent if it meant you finding someone else to live with, you know."

I sighed again. "It's fine; it's too late to back out now anyway, my mom would kill me. She doesn't even see what the big deal is. She says it's been two years and I should be over it." I looked over at the coffee cup on my nightstand, the uneven handle—from when Mason accidentally chipped it—staring back at me. "As if it were that easy," I added bitterly.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?"

"Yeah, I mean it's not like we hate each other. It's just...weird. But maybe my mom is right; it's been two years, so it's about time we try to interact normally. Maybe I'll feel more connected to the Mastersons again by fixing whatever friendship I may still have with Mason." I played with my hoodie strings, Liam's hoodie that I'd borrowed months ago, and immediately felt guilty again. I still hadn't told him. What was the right way to tell your current boyfriend you would be living with an ex?

"Friendship?" Amara sounded amused.

"Okay, jerk. Acquaintance. Or whatever. I don't know what we are."

"And you think that'll make you feel closer to Jessie and Caleb again?"

"I don't know," I grumbled. I shifted on the bed, folding my legs underneath me. "I mean, Jessie and I are still close; that hasn't really changed. But remember how I texted you at the graduation party about how things felt, I don't know, off?"

"Possibly."

"I think it's because I distanced myself from home, and I only did that to avoid Mason and now I can, maybe, remedy that."

Amara sighed. I heard the sound of a TV in the background, probably some crime show, along with multiple voices screaming. Amara had five siblings, and they were clearly getting along great. "Well, I wish you all the luck in the world. I wish I were there to witness it, but also if I were there you wouldn't need to live out a live-action reality TV summer drama with your ex."

I stuck my tongue out at her even though she couldn't see. "Thank you for that description."

Amara ignored me, but the energy over the phone grew more tense. "Does Liam know?"

I hesitated. "I haven't figured out how to tell him yet."

Just then, Liam peeked out from behind my door, his hand gentle on the doorframe. "Is that Amara? Has she found someone yet?" The genuine concern he had for our friend only made my heart drop more.

"There's my cue," I said into the phone, while Liam's brows furrowed.

Amara whispered a quick "Good luck" before hanging up.

I turned to face my boyfriend, taking a deep breath. "About that..."

Liam froze against the doorframe. "Should I be nervous?"

I sighed and got up from the bed so that I was facing him. His eyes were bright, lit up by the sun coming in through the windows. "I have a new roommate!" I tried to sound cheerful.

Liam still looked confused. "That's a good thing...isn't it?"

Grabbing Liam's hand, I said, "Don't freak out," and immediately winced when Liam took a step back, releasing his fingers from mine. Starting with Don't freak out would only make the freakout worse. I just needed to drop the news, rip it off like a band-aid. "Well, when I was home, I found out Mason was moving here for a job and my mom, kind of, sort of, invited him to live with me." Sorry, Mom.

"What?" Liam asked, shaking his head. The look on his face was incredulous. "I'm sorry, what?" he said again.

"Mason's going to be living here."

"Like hell he is," Liam said with a snort. "Funny joke."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "I'm not joking," I said gently. "He had nowhere else to go at the last minute and Amara needed to find someone to take her place."

"Let me get this straight," Liam started, his eyes wide. His hands were picking at the pockets of his sweatpants. "You're going to be living with your ex-boyfriend?"

I winced again. "I know it sounds awful," I said quickly. "But you'll be here all the time. He won't bother us, I swear."

"Right," Liam said, his voice laced with sarcasm. "I'm sure he won't mind third-wheeling at all."

I rolled my eyes. "It's my only choice, Liam." He looked away, his gaze on the floor. I tilted his chin up so that his eyes were on me again. "At least I know him. At least I trust him. It's not some creepy old guy! Or a murderer," I added thoughtfully.

It was Liam's turn to roll his eyes. "I guess." He sighed and grabbed my hands. "Do I really have a choice?" Liam was seriously the best boyfriend ever. How many people would be okay with my situation? If it were anyone but Liam, they would probably break up with me on the spot.

I shrugged. "I could always tell him no."

"But then I'm screwing Amara over."

"You know how much she needs the money," I said, squeezing his hands. Liam loved Amara just as much as I did. I knew he couldn't refuse a chance to help her out.

"Okay, then," Liam said, shaking his head a little like he still couldn't believe what was going on. "Weirdest summer ever." He sounded dazed. I definitely owed him.

I stood on my tip-toes to give him a kiss. "Agreed."

***

I sighed, plopping down on the couch. When Amara went back home, she asked me to move the stuff she didn't bring with her into the storage closet, leaving it empty for a potential roommate. So, two hours later, I finally had her comforter, sheets, and other random crap haphazardly placed in the closet next to our kitchen. I desperately needed a break.

Liam was already there, perusing through a list of movies to watch. His legs were propped up on the coffee table.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Liam's look of frustration. His tongue was in between his teeth as he continued to scroll through movies. Liam could never make a decision. My heart burst for him, quirks and all, and I grabbed the remote from his hands.

"Hey," he protested.

I gave him a look. Pressing a few buttons, I landed on Superman, the 1978 version. I wasn't exactly sure why I picked it, but it was my dad's favorite superhero movie; he made me watch it when I was twelve.

"Oh, I love this movie," Liam said, shifting on the couch to get more comfortable amid all my miscellaneous throw pillows. Liam loved any and all movies—he wanted to be a director—so I wasn't surprised he knew this one. "Have you seen it before?" He pulled my feet onto his lap, rubbing them absent-mindedly.

"Yeah," I said blankly, forcing a smile, but I wasn't thinking about the movie; I was suddenly thinking about a memory from a lifetime ago.