Chapter 19 - Present

My eyes were red and puffy in my rearview mirror. I tossed my camera with way too little care onto the passenger seat and turned the car on with shaky fingers.

I thought the day was going well. I got a coffee from the shop down the street from my apartment. I found a penny on the ground, and my dad always told me to pick up pennies, so I did. Some random woman walking her dog along the street even gave me a compliment on my overalls. But then, I had to go to work, and everything went downhill.

I was helping out a photography session for a woman and her one-year-old child, Fourth of July themed because that was the kid's exact birthday. I guess he hated everyone but her, and whenever I went over to help him pose or get his attention for a photo, he would immediately start screaming. Because of my severe lack of child-rearing skills, his crying caused me to cry, and I was sent home for "being unprofessional." Now I could only hope I wouldn't get fired.

When I made it back to the apartment, all I wanted to do is lock my bedroom door, hide under my blankets, and wallow in self-pity while listening to sad music. Instead, I found Mason in a cutoff top, placing a plate of grilled burgers on the counter and spreading out various toppings.

He looked up as soon as he heard the door open. "Hey, Em—" he paused, noticing my face. "What's wrong?" I almost laughed, the sight of concern on Mason's face while in a cutoff and an apron, his hands on his hips. He looked like a doting mother.

I hesitated. "Bad day at work," I decided to say. "What about you? When did you decide to go all Masterchef on me?"

He grinned. "I've been meaning to try out the grill in the courtyard. You still like everything on your burgers, right?"

I nodded, slinking into a barstool. My chin falls in my hands. "Thanks."

Mason's eyes met mine, and I knew he understood I meant more than just the food. Thanks for not pushing.

He slid over a plate with a fully-dressed burger on it across the table.

Mason cleared his throat while I started to eat. "How bout we go to the beach for a little?"

I raised my eyebrows. "The beach?" I said, my mouth full.

Mason smiled. "Let's have a great Fourth of July, Em."

"Even if it kinda sucks here sometimes?"

He chuckled. "We'll celebrate being off of work then."

"Deal."

***

After eating and getting dressed, Mason drove us over to the beach, parking alongside the multitude of souvenir shops. We grabbed our sunscreen and towels and placed them near a lifeguard stand. I was suddenly reminded of the time we accidentally spent the night on a beach together, before his cousin's wedding. It seemed like a lifetime ago. I shook my head to get rid of the thought.

"Wanna race to the water?"

I looked up at Mason in surprise. "Race?"

"Yes, you understand the concept, correct?"

I rolled my eyes but was grateful for his attempt to cheer me up with sass. "Me, race? Me, run?"

"You have two legs."

"You're like two feet taller than me."

He scoffed. "Drama queen."

I leaned back on my towel, my fingers already getting sandy. "What's in it for me?"

Mason looked taken aback. He paused, his mouth working.

Suddenly, I felt uncomfortable. I hadn't meant it as flirty, but it definitely sounded that way. I stood up. "Ok, ready?"