8

Jay POV

I haven't seen or heard from Kenya in a week. It wasn't necessarily that it was unusual, just kind of felt like she needed a shoulder. Even offering it, still nothing. I wanted to be there for her in this fucked up situation I told her about. I had no idea about that girl being her best friend, or I would've said something to all three of them right away. I've always had her back like that. 

Flashback

I stared at the entrance of the cafeteria, waiting for her like Christmas. I was at a point where I could admit, I guess I have a crush on her. How could I not

"What do you think you're doing?" Sophie says as Kenya takes a seat at our lunch table. Which is what modern society would consider the 'cool table'

"I asked her to come sit over here?" I raise an eyebrow as the table went silent. 

"It's cool Jay-"

"Nah, it's not that serious. Sit down Kenya." I look up at her as I moved my backpack from the spot I saved for her. She smiles, taking a seat next to me. 

"Nice pepperoni you got there." she says touching the newly formed pimple on my face. Some of my friends laughed at her joke.

"I'm sorry not everyone wakes up with flawless skin like you." I laugh.

"Are we just gonna sit here and pretend this is cool?" Sophie scoffs with a laugh. 

"What's your problem?" Kenya says. 

"Yeah what's the deal?" Sophie's friend adds.

"Really Savannah? Jay's been walking around with this charity case and I'm the only one that sees that it's a cry for attention?" she shakes her head and then looks at me. "Like we get it Jay, you're a noble human being but some of us, don't care to mingle among your have not."

"Shut the fuck up Sophie." I snap. "Nothing you own or can buy will make you look any better. You're still gonna be a garbage ass person. And quite frankly, you don't deserve her presence. Come on Kenya." I grab my stuff and we move to an empty table. 

"You didn't have to do that Jay." she looks away. 

"I don't give a shit about Sophie or her feelings." I shrug and look at her. "But I will always have your back Kennybear. I promise."

Shortly after that, people from the table started to come sit with us. Until, Sophie was alone. It became the new 'cool table' and she wasn't allowed to sit there.

I couldn't help but laugh a bit at the thought of how serious we took life back then. I sigh, lying back on the bed. I decided to take a few days to myself but I wish I hadn't now. Making money is the best distraction for loneliness. 

I must've dozed off when my phone rang. I felt my heart race at the sight of Kenya's name on my screen as I quickly answer.

"Hey." I smile to myself.

"Hi, Jay." she says. "Can we talk somewhere?"

"Of course. Meet me at the bar in the hotel I'm staying in. I'll send you the location."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye beautiful." I smile, earning a little giggle before she hung up. I don't know what this could be about but either way I'm about to be all ears and eyes. I need her to see that I'm still here for her through everything like I said I would be.

I threw on  some gray sweatpants and a red tshirt to match my Airmax. I pull my bun down and run my fingers through my hair a couple times to make it look a decent mess, before making my way down to the bar.