behind the wall of sleep/fade into you

𝐀 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐟 '𝐖𝐞 𝐀𝐫𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐎𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬/𝐁𝐨𝐫𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐃𝐢𝐞'. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭.

I felt mocked staring at the piles of crumpled notebook paper littered among the hotel desk. I've known him for nearly three years now and I still couldn't figure out what to gift the man for his birthday. Deep inside I knew Robert would appreciate whatever I mustered up, whether that be a new pair of socks or a corvette. Presents were new territory, for his 23rd and 24th my presence was gift alone - now that's his girlfriend's role to take. She was the reason I was so worked up, I couldn't bare to be showed up by a woman Robert chose over me. It was childish admittedly but I was hurt. Every day for the past two months I've thought about all the nights Robert and I have spent making love . . . and all the nights he didn't roll over and ask me to be his woman. 

I sat in the passanger's seat of Jimmy's car picking at the skin around my pink nails, just as my anxiety was picking away at me. Robert truly was my soulmate or as he liked to say, twin flame - one soul split in two. Either way, it was my first time seeing him in over a year. My heart yearned for him but the bitterness in me wanted to shun him, reject him the way he rejected me. As deeply as I longed to avenge my broke heart, I was incapable of committing any type of wrongdoing to him, for all he's done is give his love to another woman, how could I be mad at him for that?

Mustering up all of the courage I possessed I began my walk up the porch steps, knocking sharply on the front door before I had the chance to hesitate and book it back to America.

Jimmy was there to answer, "Finally, you made it out of the car" guiding me quickly to the backyard before we drew too much attention my way. "I'll send Percy out in a minute, you want a drink?"

With that he slipped back inside with promises of a lemonade and my beloved when he returned. Oddly enough, I felt at peace sitting out here alone, my nervousness from earlier next to near gone. The thick wall of vegetation that encased the manor felt like a safety net shielding me from what other problems I had off the farm. 

Distracted by rustling my head shot up to the backdoor being slid open. I knew exactly who it was right away.

"That's crazy man's talk, you're nuts." He laughed, his entire body was outside now but his attention was still fixated on whoever he was conversing with. It wasn't until he fully shut the door did he finally lift his head. 

Our eyes met in a gaze, almost immediately did his movements cease nothing but his hair blowing in the fall breeze. I couldn't bring myself to think about  our absence or his girlfriend, all that mattered was that we were here together in this moment. Nothing else matters.

"Could I have my lemonade?"  That broke him out of his trance.

It didn't take long for him engulf me in a hug, spinning me until my vision blurred. "Dolores, what the hell are you doing here?!" 

"It was Jimmy's idea," I laughed, fixing my hair as he kept his strong hold on me. "I wasn't sure if you wanted to see me."

His smile dropped while his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What? Why would I not want to see you? I always want to see you."

I dropped my gaze, opting to stare at the out-grown grass growing over the pavement than Robert's disappointed leer. "Well you haven't called in a while, and yeah I know you've been busy but obviously not that busy if you had time to move your new girlfriend into your place."