CHAPTER 48: I DIDN'T MEAN TO...!?

I made a grave mistake thinking that Phun would eventually return to normal on his own. It’s Monday now and I haven’t heard a peep from him since Saturday.

I was a little confused on Sunday because his odd behaviors weren’t sitting well with me. I wanted to call him and see how he was doing but then I thought better of it, because I didn’t want to be a nuisance to him. I signed in MSN and waited for Phun all day instead. I saw a small window popping up on the side of the screen, indicating that Phun had signed in around the afternoon. I sent him a message but he was quiet and went offline. I had no idea what the hell was wrong with that guy. Unsurprisingly, I have not seen him online ever since that day. Basically, I’m trying to explain why I’m late to school this morning. I spent the whole night waiting for him.

“Napat! You’re not a child any more now! You should be setting a good example for your juniors!” Oh, shit. Masser Fiem’s voice can be heard behind me just as I am about to sneak through the school’s gate. Damn it, I forgot to tuck in my shirt!

I immediately stop to tuck in my shirt but it’s too late. A wooden cane strikes the back of my legs before I could finish. Owwwww, how many years has it been since I was last punished like this?

“You know what to do, go on.” Not only I was hit with a cane, now I’m being disciplined for tardiness too. That’s too cruel! My face turns pale and I settle my school bag down on the ground. I follow the Masser to do push ups in front of the Holy Father statue. How humiliating is this?! I’m a grown ass man!

“You’re a 10th grader, that means 100 push ups!” Who the heck made up that rule?! My eyes widen as I stare at the person who is giving me an order. I haven’t worked out in ages. I know if I try to make any negotiations with him then I’d end up having to do 300 instead for sure. Here goes nothing! -_-” Om has been nagging at me about how I’m getting fat lately anyway. Just consider this as a way to get fit.

I fall to the ground and begin doing push ups obediently (Heh heh heh…) “One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten…” I glance over to see the Masser talking to the school’s janitor instead of paying any attention to me. If that’s the case, then…heh heh heh.

“Ten, twenty, thirty, forty…” I gotta cheat my way out of this! My arms are about to break!

“Napat! Start over! And it’s 200 this time around!” Shit! I shouldn’t have done this! I nearly fainted when I heard those words. I’m trying to give him puppy eyes and let him know that I’ve learned my lesson but he doesn’t care. He’s even glaring at me too. Aaaaah!

“One, two, three, four…” I have no other choice but to do as I am told (otherwise I’d be doing 500 push ups). I start from the very beginning with much difficulty due to the fact that I have not worked out in forever. My body isn’t prepared for the extreme exercise.

“Fifty-five, fifty-six, fifty-seven…” Am I gonna drop dead right here? I should’ve been dieting. It’s starting to piss me off that I’m so heavy. It’s taking so much effort just to lift myself up each time. My arms are incredibly sore.

“Masser? Will you sign these papers for me?” Eh? That voice sounds familiar. I glance over to look at the source. It’s the person that made me lost sleep, the person that made me stayed up all night hoping to catch him online. What an impeccable timing. I watch as Phun, who is carrying a couple of large blinders, forces Masser Fiem to sign documents for him.

Since his attention is required, he turns around and so he can sign the papers in Phun’s hands. He’s leaving me, the guy that is up to number 60 for his push ups, all alone.

“This one too. And this one too, please. And this one.” I’m not imagining this, am I? Phun Phumipat is here to rescue me? I raise my brows and look at him between push ups. He’s giving me signals with his eyebrows as if he wants me to leave.