CHAPTER 45 : COULD YOU TRUST IN ME =]

Time passes and Friday arrives. Today is the day our school’s band will be playing at the convent for their open house event. After a long and grueling meeting, they decided on sending my band there.

This had nothing to do with how my band is the best there is or anything as such, (we rarely ever practice together) but it was because no one wanted to go. Everyone gave a bunch of excuses like having too much homework to do, having so many reports to write or whatever else they could’ve come up with. It was rather strange that no one wanted to go to the convent at all. In the end, I found out that Pao (the drummer for my band) lobbied with other club members that he refused to allow anyone to get in the way of his love life. He said that he would come back here with a new girlfriend from that convent. Well, then.

Phun was there the day I handed the formal absent requests so that we could play at the convent. (To be honest, I meant to go when he was working hoping that things would’ve been simple with his help) But when he realized that it would be my band playing he got real annoying. He kept saying that if he doesn’t get to go along with the band then he wouldn’t sign off on this. The student council handles these requests whenever students submit permission to be absent from the school. They are the ones who will check whether the claims are valid or not. Real funny. Last time Fi barely gave a damn when he signed off on this. We could be dying in some ditch for all he cared. He didn’t make a fuss like Phun at all. (So did I make a mistake with coming to Phun for this?)

We had a long argument about this. Phun had this obnoxious expression on his face that made me want to kick his ass. He refused to back down. I gave in to him and allowed him to tag along. Whatever. It’d be great to have extra set of hands to help carrying things.

We left the school around late in the afternoon on Friday so that we could bring our own instruments over to the convent. I was taken aback by what I saw at the gate once I got there. There was a fancy banner hanging up at the gate. “Welcome musicians from xxx” it said. Did they do this last year? I can’t quite remember.

A bunch of us walked inside and we were all confused. Some of the underclassmen tagged along to help carry the stuff we brought. It was puzzling how welcoming and appreciative their music club members seemed to be. (Jeed was the first face that I saw.) The girls led us to the dressing room which had everything we could possibly have asked for. I kept staring in the mirror just to see if I was still the same Noh or if I had turned into p’Toon from Bodyslam (they might’ve made a mistake since we are even in terms of good looks). What the heck? Last year, all we had was a tent set up near the open grass.

We all thanked the students there before we carried the instruments on the stage to set them up. It is currently empty since the rest of the event are happening out in the open space. There are some junior high school girls watching us setting everything up and doing the soundcheck.

“Are you tired, Noh?” While I am plugging in the amplifier, Jeed walks over and hands me some water. It’s rather biased of her though, considering that I am working under the shades and it’s quite comfortable while Art and nong Knott are working under the scorching sun. They are the ones that should be taken care of so I turn her down.

“I’m not tired. Do you mind getting some water to my friends over there by the soundboard? They’re probably dying in the heat.” What I said must’ve struck a nerve with her since she seems a little dismayed. “Oh…my friends will be doing that anyway” She tells me and continues with the conversation. “Have you eaten anything yet?”

“Noh, eat this. It’s so fucking good.” Before I can give her an answer, Phun’s voice interrupts us. Not only that, he stuffs a huge takoyaki in my mouth. Asshole! It’s burning hot!