CHAPTER 38 : I WISH

“P’Noh!”

I flinch with all my might when I nong Pang, who is picking out some snacks, calling out my name. I actually can’t recall how long it has been since we last saw one another. However, this is definitely not the right time to be running into each other like this.

“Yuri, I gotta go, okay? Bye.” I quickly hang up the phone. My lips are trying to move in order to say something to nong Pang. She is standing there with a wide grin on her face. But before I can start our friendly chat, a third party’s voice can be heard.

“Pang? The baking sodas are over there. Which kind do you want? I’m not sure which one to choose.”

I’m uncertain whether I should feel happy or something else when I see that Phun is now standing in front of me.

We stare at each other for a moment. I notice that his eyes are wide since he’s a little startled, but then he forces a smile for me. “Oh…Noh.”

“Oh…hi. What are you guys doing here?” That was such a stupid question to ask. They’re at a supermarket so it isn’t like they’re farming or anything. I curse at myself inside my head.

However, nong Pang isn’t one to be obnoxious, I know that. She gives me a big smile before she hops over to stand next to me. “We’re buying ingredients to make some cookies. P’Noh, you should come over and have them! Please? Please?” Apparently, the spirit of Yuri has taken over her body and she begins pleading with me.

I don’t know what to say. I keep glancing at the girl next to me, then switching to Phun and back at her again. I’m not sure how to answer her.

At last, Phun cuts our conversation short. “Pang, p’Noh is probably busy. Let’s not bother him.” He scolds his sister and he looks at me with a sigh. I know that Phun still misunderstands the situation. I also know that he doesn’t want me at his house right now either. But if that’s the case, then how will we ever solve our misunderstandings?

“I’m free. I’ll help you with the tasting, okay?” I beat him to the punch and accept the invitation right away. Nong Pang is jumping for joy but I don’t know how Phun might be doing because I’m not brave enough to look up and face him.

I stayed pretty much quiet for the entire taxi ride. Nong Pang’s lively voice made small talks with Phun and me but only occasionally. Nevertheless, Phun and I didn’t say a word to one another. Once we arrive at the tall gates, Phun goes inside the house with all the grocery bags in a hurry so he fails to notice what his younger sister is up to. She turns to look at me with a wink.

“You two are fighting, huh?” I suppose we’ve been so quiet that it was obvious to nong Pang.

I give her a dry smile. “N–No, we’re not.”

“Lies! You two should talk and I’ll make something yummy for you guys.” She tells me before she runs off to the kitchen and leaves me standing here feeling confused.

Soon after, Phun comes back. “Eh? Where’s Pang?”

“She said she’s going to make something yummy for us.”

“I see. Wanna watch TV?” He asks as he leads me into the living room. Someone else might’ve been watching the huge television since it is already on and tuned to HBO. I glance at Phun’s blank expression as he flips through the channel without so much as looking at me.

“Phun…” I sigh and then I begin to speak.

“What is it…?” It may sound like a normal response, but I know he’s feeling much more deep down inside.