Chapter 40: The sleepover

Felipe's POV

That night it was a struggle to put the twins down for bed. Ever since they had seen all the girls from Melanie's birthday party come into the house, they had been bouncing off the walls. We had agreed that they could be involved in the party, eat cake and play some games but they still had to go to bed to their usual time. There would be plenty of time for sleepovers when they were older. Of course Sam was invited too, but she didn't stay any longer than it was necessary. She apparently preferred the company of her laptop and her guitar Pete in the loneliness of her room. She was at that age.

Anna had really outdone herself this time. The entire sleepover had sort of a glamour theme, which meant there were matching sleeping bags, matching snack bowls, matching cupcakes... it had taken my wife like an entire week or so to get everything she felt the party needed. Of course Melanie thought she was best. She had delivered everything my daughter had ever wanted in a birthday party, and it was the first time we allowed a sleepover with so many girls. I was a bit nervous at first, but Anna convinced me she got it covered.

While she helped the girls to get ready in the sleepover room, I did my best to convince the twins to go to sleep.

"Daddy please. Five more minutes" Trini pouted while kicking off the sheets after I had just tucked her in... for the fifth time.

"Honey, no. This is Mel's party and now she wants to be with the other girls. You can play with her tomorrow, ok?" I spoke to my babygirl that could barely keep her eyes opened by that time.

"Ok" she mumbled unconsciously while slowly drifting off into her deep slumber.

"Good night my loves" I smiled at them and turned off the light after having kissed their sweet temples.

Laying in my bed, I fought my eyes to stay away until she came to bed, but at some point I had to accept my body would give in long before that happens. When I opened my eyes again it was morning and the house was under a deep silence that inspired me so much peace. The girls had been so loud during the party I thought I'd never get not even a minute of sleep, but it was quite the opposite. I wondered if that was because they were extremely well behaved or I was just so tired I never heard them. I also wondered if that was the reason for my wife not being in bed at 7 am on a Sunday.

Not being able to sleep anymore due to the brightness coming through the window, I resolved to just get up and get dressed before preparing breakfast. We had a busy day, and I thought we still had to give the girls some food and be present by the time their parents pick them up.

"Good morning love" I greeted Anna when I found her wide awake, making herself some tea in the kitchen.

"Good morning babe" she greeted me back but other than that, she did little to acknowledge my presence in her room. Her thoughts seemed to be somewhere else, and after spending so much effort in the party I would have thought she was craving some sleep.

"Is it my imagination or the girls were too quiet last night?" I asked still surprised of the silence in every room of our house. Without any words or sounds, it spoke volumes.

"It's not your imagination. They're not here anymore" my wife informed me, finally turning around to face me while she wrapping her arms around her torso.

"What? What happened?" I asked, really taken aback by her response. What did she even mean by 'they're not here anymore'?

**

I was a lot more of a heavy sleeper than my wife, so I didn't get the chance to see how things went down that night with the girls, but she did. Taking advantage of her lack of sleep, she'd take a quick round through the house every now and then, just to make sure everything was fine. We didn't want to be too invasive, so we had agreed we wouldn't get into their bedroom unless it was absolutely necessary.