Chapter 33: Saying goodbye

Felipe's POV

As time passed by, me and my wife thought best to prevent the girls and ourselves to name the dog, just so we wouldn't feel too attached to him. Although they already were, especially Sam. I knew just how much she had always wanted a dog, and from what Anna shared with me, this particular dog looked exactly like the one Sam's grandma had always wanted while she lived in the nursery home. Needless to say, the little animal had woken especial emotions in the oldest of my children, and each day it seemed harder to just get used to the fact he wouldn't be here for much longer.

I had posted a picture on several facebook groups to help me find the dog a new home. Part of me wanted to keep him terribly, but I knew it was killing Anna, even when she hadn't said much about the dog for a couple days now.

The backyard didn't look the same ever since he got here. I had managed to save some of my wife's dear plants (some of those had even survived the twins early days, and that was a miracle itself) but I had been forced to place several items, sticks and even a metal mesh around them. It didn't look so perfect anymore, but they were safe.

I entered the kitchen just in time to see my wife bending over the upper half open kitchen door, talking sweetly to a very short someone. I raised my eyebrow, thinking it could be one of the twins, but couldn't unless one of them had grown a long furry tail and accepted treats from her hand.

When she stood back up, her orbs instantly connected with mine and to that it followed an eye roll when she caught sight of my amused smirk.

"I see you two understand each other now" I said without getting rid of my teasing mood.

"Maybe it's not such a bad thing he's here" she turned her back on the little animal that followed her with his eyes constantly, probably on the chances of getting another treat.

"I can tell. You just fed him a piece of pumpkin" I folded my arms on my chest as she went back to her filled with vegetables cutting board.

"He likes vegetables. Maybe they girls could imitate him" she commented with tons of irony rolling freely through her tongue, making me chuckle.

"You think that maybe I should take down the post about him?" I asked carefully and mindful of her reaction to the subject. I didn't want to pressure her into it.

"I don't know... he's adorable but the hair, and my furniture, and his loud barking..." she explained with a tone that made me think she was likely just having an inner debate and thinking out loud rather than actually talking to me.

Judging by how her tone quickly escalated, I'd say it wasn't an easy decision for her. I placed a friendly hand on her shoulder to stop her rant and met her eyes with a tender look that instantly relaxed her features.

"Hey it's ok. You don't have to like dogs babe" I tried to show myself supportive and to show her I knew just how difficult this decision was to her.

"But the girls love him so much. It'd break their hearts" she expressed her concern, always putting her girls first, and it made me incredibly proud of her. "After all where would he go? This is his home" she concluded with a resigned sigh before she went back to her cooking.

I smiled broadly before giving her a kiss on her sweet spot, her neck crook. I was incredibly happy I had her support, and I knew they'd learn to get along. Sure he wouldn't sleep on the beds like him and likely the girls wanted to, but he'd stay with us and he'd be loved.

And why not, he'd likely get more treats. Pumpkin treats.

I opened the door of my studio and scanned the room to remember where had I put my work laptop last. I raised an eyebrow when I saw it on the couch, since it was unlikely I'd put it in such an unsafe place but I thought none of it.