Chapter 20: Never come back

-So this is it, my wife said to me while putting out the groceries from a bag in the kitchen. I stood right next to her, helping her with the task.

-I'm afraid so, but I keep my hopes up that we'll get something good out of this talk. I mean... Joseph is an adult, even if he doesn't look like it. We'll get to an agreement of what's best for Sam. We all want that, right?, I looked at her for agreement.

-Yes but I bet I'm not gonna like it. I said from the beginning that I don't want him in my daughter's life. He should back off Felipe, Anna grumbled and I took her hand in mine, gently rubbing my thumb over it.

-I know you have every right in this world to be upset with him Anna, but we're doing this for Sam. We have to try to make this work for her. And believe me when I say that if we're certain he's not good for Sam, I'll make him leave in less than a second. He's not gonna hurt her, I promise, I said before kissing my wife's fingers.

-Thank you honey, Anna said lovingly grazing her knuckles on my cheek and smiling to me.

We said no more about it. After Sam's competition we'd have a word with Joseph and clear this whole thing up. We still had to find someone to stay with the girls while we're out there supporting Sam, so I called Justin to see if he was free tonight. Unfortunately for us, he wasn't. He said he was going out with his friends and that he was sorry he couldn't make it. Of course to that I told him there was absolutely no problem. I was actually glad he was spending time with his friends, maybe that'd call my brother down for the moment. Matt called me yesterday admitting sadly that he wouldn't be able to make it to Sam's competition, because he had to work extra hours, but asked me to give her all his support. I found endearing that he cares about her that much, even when he hasn't met her for so long. Him and I have always had a strong sense of family, and we've tried to pass the feeling to our children.

A couple hours passed by, and Alexa and Melanie arrived with not so liveliness faces like the twins. They're growing into teenagers, which apparently meant they didn't enjoy school as much as before. Still they greeted me and my wife a smile and went to their bedroom to start on their homework. I took the chance to ask my neighbor if my girls could stay at their place for a couple hours tonight, and apologised for asking so over the time. He of course insisted there was no problem, and that they could stay as much as we needed.

It was about time for Sam to arrive, yet she seemed a little bit delayed. I didn't bother reaching her on her mobile yet, thinking that probably she had entertained herself talking to her friends. A few minutes later the door rang, which seemed strange to me since Sam has her own key of the house. I got up from the couch and went to the front door, revealing a nervous Joseph standing beneath my frame. The first thing that crossed my mind was something happening to Sam, but I shook it off.

-Joseph, what a surprise. What are you doing here?, I said trying to be polite but not that much.

-Can I come in? Please. I have something to tell you and Anna, he said with a slightly guilty face that made me wonder what on earth he wanted from us.

-Did something happened to Sam?, Anna (who had overheard our conversation) asked to Joseph. He denied with his head as I took a step back for him to come in, shutting the door behind him.

-I ummm... I have something to tell you. I hope you can give Sam the message, and tell her that I wish her the best of lucks on her contest today, he said scratching the back of his neck.

-Wait... you're not going?, Anna said without believing his words. I felt the same actually. Him not going would break Sam's heart for sure. He better has an extreme good excuse for missing her contest.

-I'm sorry, but I really need to leave for my tour right away. My manager called, he said we'd need more time than it was planned... you know how these things are. You understand, right Anna?, he said still not making eye contact with me but posing his pitiful orbs on my wife.