Chapter 38

Hello my loves, sorry for taking so long to update you. I feel terrible, but, I'm here with two chapters for you xx. 

Please like and comment, it really helps with my writers block xx

----------------------------------------------------

Waking up in Emily's arms hurt you more and more with each passing day. Her sleepy face and grateful smile clawed at your fragile heart, reminding you that this would never be your normal. She could tell something was up, but you would shut her down whenever she wanted to talk about it.

Thankfully your recovery had been smooth sailing, the stitches hadn't bothered you too much and you were able to sleep with minimal discomfort despite the sling you had to wear. Emily had helped you shower every couple of days so that you could wash your hair.

It was Sunday and Emily would be back at work tomorrow. You were grateful for all the help but you couldn't wait to wallow in your own pity party the minute she left your house.

Emily's phone buzzed from the bedside table, rousing her from her slumber.

'Prentiss.' She answered holding the phone near her face, eyes still closed.

You could hear Garcia's upbeat voice speaking rapidly through the speaker.

'No, I'll just come in and work from the office this case. I'll see you in the morning Pen' she grumbled ending the call.

She rubbed her eyes and stretched her limbs, 'Morning (y/n), how is your body feeling today?'

'I'm fine. If you need to go into work, go, I'm good here on my own today and I can call Saskia to come hang out!' you explain, shuffling out of the bed awkwardly.

She followed suit and you both trudged into the kitchen to make coffee.

'No they don't need me. Garcia just called to give me the heads up that the team has gone on a case and if I wanted to work in the field I'd have to catch a flight to Missouri on my own tomorrow morning. I'd rather work the case from the office.' Emily rationalises, picking out two mugs.

Nodding you open the fridge to empty shelves.

'I'll drive you to the grocers today so you can stack up on food.' she laughs, spotting the lack of food.

Bringing your mugs into the bedroom you get ready for the day. Emily braids your hair quickly pulling it away from your face. The two of you throw on black yoga pants with oversized hoodies and head out.

----------------------------------------------

Emily spending the week off work seemed like it would be a big benefit, but, being away from her for the entire week had actually confused Spencer more. After announcing to the team that he had feelings for (y/n), they had been teasing him and urging him to contact her.

True he had texted her a few times and she had responded in her usual flirty tone, it was just confusing because he didn't know if she wanted anything, and he didn't really know how to broach the subject.

On the other hand, Emily hadn't left his thoughts at all. Every time he closed his eyes, all he could see was her face after she'd slapped him. He could read her so clearly that he almost believed he could read her mind. Everything about that kiss intoxicated him and he found himself looking at the picture of the three of them.

It terrified Spencer, he didn't know what to do and he had no one to talk to about it. As the week dragged on the dark circles under his eyes slowly deepened and he slumped a little more each day. The team had noticed, but as usual they ignored it, chalking it up to his feelings for (y/n).

On Monday evening he decided to call (y/n). Emily had turned up at Quantico for work and mentioned that she'd be back in her own apartment tonight.

(y/n) picked up after the third ring. 'Hello Doctor, how may I be of service?'

Picking at his nails he mumbled. 'I just wanted to check in on you. I haven't really had time to stop and reach out.'

'I'm fine, just sore.' (y/n) replied in a bored tone.

'Oh- Uh, I can let you go if you want?' he hurried, mindful of the tone she had used.

Blowing out a huff of air she admitted. 'I've just got a lot on my mind right now and it's confusing.'

'I know exactly how you feel. That's why I called, I wanted to talk to you about some of it.'

(y/n)s signature flirty voice returned and she joked. 'If you've called me to profess your love for me, you definitely need some lessons in dating etiquette.'

Stuttering loudly Reid tried to explain him self, 'N-no that's not what I was do-'

'Oh.' (y/n) cut off realising he might have been doing just that. 'Yeah we definitely need to talk Spencer, but maybe we should save that for when you get back from the case.'

Breathing an awkward sigh of relief he agreed. 'Yes, that's probably best. Can I ask an unrelated question?'

'You can ask me anything, any time.' she whispered, letting her emotions swim through the phone.

'How are you really? I know what it's like to be kidnapped and how scary being alone can be.'

'Honestly. I'm actually okay, Emily really helped me through the worst of it and I've been seeing my therapist every second day to help process everything. I am a little lonely without her here though.'

He could hear the tears welling up as she spoke. Pacing the hotel room, he paused to formulate the right words. '(y/n), Emily loves you so much, it's funny actually, I've never seen her so openly herself around anyone. I promise that you will always be a friend of the FBI.'

Soft sobs echoed through his ear and Spencer worried he had made things worse.

'Thank you.' (y/n) replied in a quiet voice. 'I needed that.'

A slow smile spread across Spencers face, warmth spilling into his heart. 'You're always welcome.'

'Come over when the case is done. I'll be home.'

'Good night (y/n), I will see you soon.'

-------------------------------------------------

Emily walked into her empty apartment, she had left Sergio with (y/n) for company. Tossing her bag on her kitchen bench she pulled out a bottle of red wine. She poured a glass to the rim and downed it in two big gulps. Surely that would get her tipsy enough to ignore the storm brewing inside her heart.

In less than a week she had settled into a domestic life with (y/n), and, it was surprisingly natural. (y/n) was her best friend, of course it felt natural. It did dredge up one thing though and that was that Emily would never find someone to live a domestic life with. That was okay though, her job demanded so much of her time, she couldn't imagine anyone that would want to stay behind. Except maybe (y/n), she loved her space.

Spencer and (y/n) would make a good couple. At least that is what Emily had been telling herself for the past week, a stranger to her own compartmentalising.

Emily poured herself another glass and retired to her bed, unknowingly dreaming of the two people she loved most.