Chapter 30

The past couple of days had been tough on the team. Every forty eight hours another woman was murdered, and they hadn't been able to make much progress. Hotch sent them all back to the hotel to recuperate, eat, and get a fresh look at the files.

Spencer had promised to bring Chinese to J.J and Emily's room so they could all eat and brainstorm over the case.

J.J and Emily stroll into their room kicking off their black boots. Emily shed her dark grey, skinny slacks and baggy white blazer pulling her toiletries from her go bag.

'Hey J.J I'm going to shower before Spencer arrives. Do you need to pee?' Emily asked stripping her white long sleeve off.

'Yeah I will.' she replies, heading into the bathroom first.

Emily takes her time in the shower, scrubbing and shaving her body. The tension washing off with the sweat. She massages the shampoo and conditioner into her hair, relishing in the feeling.

A knock sounds from outside, Spencer has arrived with the Chinese. J.J lets him in, she had just finished changing into a pair of red flannelette pyjama bottoms and black oversized t shirt.

'Come in Spence, Emily will be out in a second.' she informed him, taking one of the bags from him.

They set up the food on the little dining table, and flick on the tv. Emily exits the bathroom, naked with the towel wrapped around her hair. Spencer and J.J look up acknowledging her, Spencer with indifference and J.J with shock.

'Emily! Oh my gosh, did you not hear Spence come in?' she asks wildly observing the interaction between the two.

'Yeah, I heard,' she replies, plodding to her bag, sorting through for clothes. 'I hope you left me some dumplings Reid or I'll be pissed.

He chuckles, rolling his eyes. 'I would never risk the wrath of an angry and hungry Emily Prentiss.'

J.J watches confused. 'How long?' she finally interjects.

'How long what?' Emily repeated, pulling grey cotton shorts and a blue hoodie on. She joins them at the table, sliding the dumplings towards her.

'How long have you two been together?'

Spencer chokes spluttering his food onto the table, 'We aren't together Jennifer.' he insisted.

'He saw me naked accidentally a few months ago and naturally freaked out.' Emily said placing her chopsticks down.

'After two weeks of him not being able to look at me, I forced him to hang out with me every day in the nude until he got over it.'

She looked from Emily to Spencer looking for a lie. Conceding she states, 'That is either the best lie you've ever told, or the dumbest truth.'

'I'll take that as a win, besides, you already know I don't have a set sexual preference. Why should I act any different around Spencer when I could potentially be more attracted to you?'

Skeptically she responds, 'Because I am straight.'

'And Spencer is just a friend. If he was uncomfortable with it, he'd tell me.' Emily argues.

'All right. I give up. You're both weird.' she laughed and continued to eat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You walk into the offices at the end of the day smiling, the case was going well. The first witness had testified on James' behalf, providing important insight into the type of man he was, and the cross examination went well too.

Logan called you all into the conference room, to debrief from the day in court.

'Today was good everyone, we made a good impression to the jury, and I'm sure that over the course of the week we can prove Millers innocence. Thank you for all your hard work! You are all appreciated.' Logan spoke congratulating the room.

'Go home and relax tonight, and get ready for a big day tomorrow. Henry can you make sure the proceedings for tomorrow are printed out before you leave.'

'Of course Logan.' Henry promised.

Over the last few months new evidence had been uncovered that would help his case. James' cousin Kai was caught up in a drug ring and it seemed he was planning a way out. He had set up an offshore bank account, and new fake ID's had turned up to his house three weeks after his death.

You had been tasked with looking in to Kai's contacts and comparing them to James' phone log. He had only contacted James twice in two weeks asking for help. They had no other contacts in common, however there was one contact that periodically called Kai. Upon further investigation it was revealed to be a man named Danny, the same Danny that James mentioned early on.

Leaving the conference room you waved good bye to the team. The short walk home was cold but refreshing, you didn't even notice the black sedan that followed you home.

Letting yourself into your apartment you ease off your black pointy toed pumps and drop your LV Neverfull on the kitchen bench. You reheat leftovers and settle in for the evening, unaware that you were being watched.

------------------------------------------------------------

The final day of the trial seemed promising, Logan and the team had worked hard to present the case in favour of James, providing ample evidence that would cast doubt on his involvement in the brutal shooting of Kai Miller. The man who had murdered Kai was undoubtedly an experienced gunman who had the stomach to shoot someone in the face point blank. James however was a gentle man who couldn't even load a gun.

After a short time deliberating the jury came to a decision. The Judge called the court to order and spoke to the representative.

'Have you come to a verdict?'

'Yes your honour,' The male juror announced loudly to the room.

'And what is your verdict?' She asked.

'We find the defendant not guilty.'

James cried tears of happiness into Logan's shoulder and you fist bumped Henry quietly. All of the long days at work had been worth it to see this innocent man be acquitted.

Back at the office Logan had declared Friday night drinks would be at her house this evening, and everyone was invited.

Logan lived in a six bedroom six bathroom house twenty minutes from work which meant you'd have time to sneak home and change out of your black pencil skirt and white blouse.

You rushed home swapping your outfit for a simple grey cotton long sleeve, light blue skinny slacks and a long camel colored coat. Knowing you'd probably go overboard with the drinking you tossed on a pair of platform tennis shoes and call a taxi.

In your haste to leave you left the door unlocked.