[DREAM] Falling in love all over again

You're not sure when the doubt began to creep it's icy fingers around your heart. Maybe it was when you shouted at him for the first time over something as simple as forgetting to load the dishwasher. Maybe it was when he forgot to come to bed for another night, leaving you chilled and more alone then you ever have before. You finally realized it one day when you woke up and rolled over to come face to face with a stranger. Were you in this relationship for nothing other than convenience? You kept your doubt close to your heart, going to lunch with his mom, and purchasing trinkets for his sister that you knew she'd love. Were you really thinking about breaking up with the man you once proclaimed to be your soulmate at 3 a.m. to your best friend? Happy tears dripping off your nose as you told her about all the compliments he showered you with.

One night, Clay took your hand and pulled you out of the dusty apartment. You two were going to go on an adventure, the way you guys used to. Used to... even he realized the change in your relationship. The powerful shift of is and was beginning to happen.

As you sat in the car, Harry Styles "Falling" drifting through the speakers as he gently rubs his thumb over your hand, your mind mulls over your thoughts that you've been having the past few weeks.

You look over at him, taking a deep breath to begin the dreadful conversation when your breath sticks in your throat. His face half illuminated every second or so by the passing street lights, his blonde hair curled slightly, falling over his forehead and his emerald eyes staring at the road. He hums along softly to the song and you're not sure how you didn't hear it before.

It's like you're finally looking at him again after ignoring his presence for so long. You finally feel the soft pressure of his thumb pad and your mind thinks of all his kind gestures in the past week. How he brought you food when you were too engrossed in a film to get it yourself, how he cleaned your cat's puke without even telling you it happened, how he picked your little brother up from boy scouts again after your mother begged you to but you had slept through your alarm.

You start to sob, realizing your love for the boy hasn't disappeared. It had merely evolved into a greater appreciation. You were past the honeymoon stage with him, but that doesn't mean that you don't love him anymore.

Clay looks over at you concern lacing in between his beautiful features.

"I love you so fucking much, Clay." You sob, putting your head on his shoulder as he knots his fingers into your hair, gently pulling you closer. Your tears start to slow as you listen to the steady beat of his heart.

"I love you too, (Y/N), so so much... please... don't leave me." He whispers, kissing the top of your head as a few tears drip down his own face.

And you're not sure if you can compare your love story to anything John Green has written. You're not traversing states to find him, you're not writing poetry or bad songs or dancing in the rain, but god dammit do you love him. You love him with your whole soul, your entire being. And none of the characters of John Green's novels will ever experience the boring, everyday love that you two have. The steady beat of him in your life. The constant reassurance that you're never going to be going at it alone, with him by your side you can get through anything.

"I'll never leave you." You promise him, looking up at him as he smiles. The rest of your drive was peaceful and silent. Both of your hearts beating as one all over again. It felt like you had been given a second chance with him and you're sure as hell not going to screw it up.