Chapter X: The King, the Queen, and a Confession

Aisha tucked her hand into the crook of Nick’s arm, and let him lead her to his parents- the King and Queen of England. She almost laughed at the fact that she was to be introduced to the uppermost rung of British royalty as the girl their son was dating. 

Nick seemed to sense her nervousness, and he squeezed her hand gently. 

“Don’t worry,” he said softly, “Just think of them as my parents, and nothing else.”

“Not helping,” Aisha whispered back, and Nick chuckled. 

The King and Queen were waiting for them, their polite smiles not masking the curiosity in their eyes.

“Mum, Dad, this is Aisha Ahluwalia,” said Nick. Aisha was impressed when he pronounced her last name perfectly. It was all she could do to keep a straight face when he called Britain’s highest ranking royals mum and dad. 

“She’s a personal shopper at Elise Alva, and helped me tremendously when I was redoing my wardrobe,” continued Nick. The Queen smiled, extending a hand on which her famous citrine-and-diamond engagement ring- copied by the thousand ever since the King- then Prince- had first proposed to her- glittered under the ornate crystal chandelier. 

“You did a wonderful job, Aisha,” said Queen Naomi warmly, “Nicholas finally looks well-groomed.”

Aisha smiled, and Nick shook his head with a chuckle.

“Very pleased to meet you, Aisha,” said King Arthur, giving her hand a firm shake, “I hope you enjoy the party.”

“I’m sure I will,” replied Aisha warmly, returning his handshake. 

As Nick led her to the refreshments, she said frankly, “Your parents aren’t what I thought they would be.”

“Oh?” asked Nick, looking amused. Leaning closer, he seemed to create a bubble of intimacy that encompassed just them, tuning out the music and chatter of the party. “And what did you think they would be?” he asked in a soft, caressing voice.

Aisha soldiered on, ignoring the flush rising steadily up her cheeks at his proximity, “I thought they would be all high and mighty, or perhaps very formal and distant. But the way they greeted me was very warm and down-to-earth.”

Nick burst out laughing at the term ‘high-and-mighty,’ drawing curious glances from several guests. 

“I can assure you, my parents are very down-to-earth,” he said, his eyes full of warmth and he smiled down at Aisha, “They’re just like any regular parents.”

“But they wear crowns,” put in Aisha with a grin.

“But they wear crowns,” chuckled Nick, inclining his head in agreement. There was a comfortable silence as they sipped their champagne, before he ventured, “So how was your Brazilian footballer? Did he sweep you off your feet with his footballing skills?”

Aisha considered him over the rim of her glass, her eyes sparkling mischievously. 

“What makes you think he’s my footballer?” she asked archly. Nick grimaced. 

“He seemed very...friendly, from what I heard over the phone,” he said. Aisha laughed. 

“Obnoxious, more like,” she said as she took another sip, watching his reaction. 

His eyes softened, and there was an ill-hidden intensity in them as he asked, “So you’re not...seeing him?”

“Of course not!” said Aisha, “He’s not really my type.”

“So what is your type?” asked Nick casually, his eyes not leaving her face as he sipped his champagne.

Aisha’s cheeks warmed. She looked into her glass, speaking more to the champagne than him when she said, “Tall, broad-shouldered, and currently sipping champagne with me.”

A gentle finger caught her chin, tilting it up to face him. Nick’s deep, expressive eyes were intense as he said, “What a coincidence- I find that you’re exactly my type, too.”

Once again, Aisha felt the rest of the world fade away as she gazed back into his eyes, not minding that her own feelings were out in the open. Her gaze slipped to his sensuous lips-

A gasp from the crowd broke the delicate bubble surrounding them, and Aisha turned, blinking. 

The Princess had just made her entrance. And she was not alone.