Chapter VI: A Call at Work

Aisha was plugged into her laptop, answering some important work emails when her phone began buzzing. Catching it deftly before it vibrated right off the edge of the table, she frowned when she saw an unknown number on her screen.

"Hello?" she asked.

"Ah Aisha, I was hoping you'd pick up. This is Nick," said a familiar voice at the other end.

Aisha checked her screen again, wondering if someone was playing a prank on her.

"Nick? As in, Prince Nicholas?" she asked.

"Er...yes, although I go by that name only in formal circles," he replied.

Aisha was dumbstruck, and confused. Why was the Prince calling her on her personal number?

"Listen, I was wondering if you'd be free after work," he continued. Now, Aisha was sure it was a prank.

"Alright, very funny. Who is this, really?" she asked, getting cross, "I'm at work, so please don't waste my time with prank calls, whoever you are."

"Why would someone prank call you pretending to be me?" asked Nick. 

Oh God, thought Aisha, before saying, "I'm sorry, I just can't believe that you of all people are calling me!"

"Would you prefer that I didn't?" he asked, sounding like he wasn't sure where the conversation was going.

"No, no, I didn't mean that!" said Aisha, running a hand through her hair, messing up her neat bun ever so slightly, "Please, what were you saying?"

"I was just wondering if you'd like to have dinner with me tonight," said Nick, "May I pick you up after work?"

Was the Prince of Wales actually asking her, Aisha Ahluwalia, on a date? But what about his South African girlfriend?

"Um," said Aisha, not sure how to broach the topic, "I heard you're...I mean… aren't you seeing someone already?"

"Who?" asked Nick, sounding utterly taken aback by her question. Aisha squirmed, wishing a hole would open up under her stylish ergonomic chair, and just swallow her up.

"Um… a South African model? I mean, it's been all over the tabloids lately, so…" she said, letting her voice trail off, hoping he would understand her meaning.

There was a moment of dumbstruck silence, and then Nick groaned. "Oh my God," he said with a small chuckle, "Believe me, that's not true. Ilana's boyfriend was my classmate at Eton, which is how I know her. She's just a good friend." Aisha noted his emphasis on the word boyfriend, and cringed, feeling like a thirteen-year-old. 

"Right," she said awkwardly, "Sorry about that. I get off work at seven." And before he could reply, she disconnected the call, and dropped her head to her desk, wishing she were a bear or something, so she could just hibernate for a few months to get over her embarrassment.

*

There wasn't much Aisha could do, outfit-wise, since she was in her work clothes, so she simply let her hair loose after work, and gave it a good brushing.

Rita walked into the bathroom as Aisha was touching up her lipstick, and asked with a smile, "Ooh! Hot date?"

Aisha chuckled, replacing the cap on her lipstick. "I guess you could say that," she admitted.

"Who's the guy?" asked Rita, setting her own purse down on the counter and rummaging through it, always up for a bit of gossip.

"Um, just someone I met recently," replied Aisha, trying not to lie.

"Is he cute?" asked Rita with a wink, touching up her own bright red lipstick.

Aisha visualised Nick's face, and found herself turning slightly pink. "Yes, you can say that," she said as nonchalantly as she could.

"Oh, look at you blush! I want to hear all about this date tomorrow!" called Rita as Aisha hurried out of the washroom, trying to end the conversation as soon as possible. 

She checked her phone, seeing that she had a message from Nick.

Meet you at the side exit at 7.

N

She stepped out of the side exit of the building into a dark alley, looking nervously down the road. She hoped Colette wouldn't spot her, and ask awkward questions.

A sleek black car slid silently up to her, its headlights picking her out. A chauffeur stepped neatly out, and opened the back door, where Nick's handsome face smiled up at her. 

"Ready to go?" he asked.