Volleyball Club AU - Sasuke x Reader

*Cough* not much Sasuke in this but like... this is more of an introduction.

(S/n) - Surname (Family name/Last name)
(G/n) - Given name (first name)
(Y/n) - your name (what you're preferred to be called by)
(s/c) - shirt color

Not even a full minute into standing and waiting for the volleyball tryouts to begin, and I'm sweating. Not from warming up with a partner or doing exercises. No. I'm sweating because I'm beyond nervous and panicked.

Everyone here is so good.

People of my age, male and female, are scattered around the three volleyball courts under the high ceiling of a volleyball arena, the colors of Konoha splashing from wall to wall, banners, volleyballs, and benches. They all have their striking talents, even if they have similar qualities to the ones around them. Already two minutes in, and I'm beyond intimidated and encouraged.

There's no way I'll make the team.

I shake myself free of my negative thoughts. There's no point in me beating myself up when I've come this close to proving myself, my coaches, my teammates, and my family. I'm finally given a chance to show everyone what I really want to be and that I'm more than just some girl that can set.

I'll show them. I'll show them all that I can be a truly fantastic hitter!

Or maybe not.

After short yet exhausting drills, we finally move into more broad examinations. Asked by the coach of the Konoha volleyball team, named Kakashi, we move to the back of the court for serving. One of their star servers, Nara Shikamaru, reminded us of each type of service we could do. Both standing floats and tops spins, and the jumping versions of those.

Spread along the three courts on both sides, some of the volleyball players lining up with us to practice their own serving as well since this is part of their 'practice time', we begin our serves.

I strive to be an incredible hitter and anything that involves jumping, hitting, and adding that satisfactory spin to drop right in front of opponents' faces helps me reach that goal along with a hint of satisfaction. Of course, a jump topspin serve is not easy—far from it. Precision and accuracy are hard to master, as well as angling the ball to fly in the desired direction isn't easy either. Of course, all of those rely on timing, something I spend a lot of time working with, even while I set.

It doesn't mean I'm a pro at it, however.

I note the players around me, doing their fantastic serves to impress both the coaches and the players. This one girl in particular has some of the volleyball members behind me talking. Not only does her beauty stun everyone who glimpses at her, but her form, her entire serve, and how it barely skims the net before it dives down on the other side—I'm beyond shocked. Everything about her serve is outstanding and easily shoves my hard work into my grave.

Come on, stop thinking like that!i

I shake my thoughts free and focus on my serving. Carefully, I toss the ball and feel as it rolls off my hand and into the air. I do my signature skip before I approach the ball now reaching its peak and jump just as it comes down. Using all of my core muscles to torque, I direct my ball to a back corner, swing my arm, and snap my wrist, and watch as the ball curves through the air and dives, right in the spot I wanted it to go.

Silently, I praise myself. No one truly knows where I'm aiming, so they don't know if I've really succeeded or not. It doesn't matter to me, though. As long as I know I didn't fail, I'm satisfied.