Worlds Collide

Rain hammered her umbrella, drowning out the lower notes of the heavy song playing in her ears. There was a small crack where her boot was separating from the sole from age and use, and her foot was damp and cold there. Reluctance weighed her steps.

Ada swore she wasn't going back. Maggie creeped the hell out of her, but Sam was right. If she had truly seen that strange gold on her during her first visit, then she was her best bet at answers. Neither Sam nor Aidan could provide a reasonable explanation for it, and all three swore up and down that another werewolf in town was impossible. If that was the case, then what the hell was she? And more importantly, why could Ada see any of this?

On the other hand, what if Maggie started asking questions? After what happened with Charlotte, it was a line Ada wasn't comfortable walking. She was still sensitive from that slip up, but there was nothing else for it. It was Maggie or nothing. Ada would be spending the rest of her life online just trying to locate the grains of truth among innumerable fabrications. She just had to get it over with.

Besides, she only had to tolerate her for a half hour, tops. After that she had to leave, answers or no, to meet up with Sam. They were going to Montréal for an overdue date. At least she had that to look forward to. She could get through a half hour with Maggie. She could.

Maybe if she told herself that enough, she'd believe it.

The unchanging shop seemed darker than usual in the deep overcast. Ada was getting used to the punch of incense, it merely tickled her nose this time. The doormat was bone dry before she dripped all over it. After a long moment and a deep breath, Ada made her way into the shop proper.

"Well, I see a lot of things, but this?" Maggie giggled, straightening from her computer. "I never saw you coming back here again."

Ada didn't like the impish curl to her lips. "Coming here wasn't my idea."

"Oh, yeah, that will do it." She seemed completely serious.

Ada frowned, unable to contain her inner sceptic. Then she forced it down. She was here for answers, not to argue. Right, say it with confidence. It won't be the craziest thing she's heard in a shop like this, even in a small town.

"I ... wanted to ask for your help; your thoughts." Ada took a steadying breath as curiosity brightened Maggie's features. "I did something the other day that I can't explain, and I get the feeling you might understand."

Ada could have hurled saying as much, especially when eagerness flashed across her face before she caught herself. She managed a wide, helpful smile but still leaned a little too far forward in her seat.

"What sort of 'something'?" she fairly purred, as Ada's spine crawled in response.

"Something ... impossible."

Her hedge was just enough. Maggie slid from her stool, booties clacking, and flipped her dark hair over one shoulder. Ada watched her as she passed to the front door, where she stood on her toes to unhook a silver bell. It jingled brightly as it fell into place over the edge of the door.

"Follow me." She gestured as she passed again, making for the curtain behind the counter perpendicular to the closet where she had done Ada's reading.

"Why don't you keep the bell down all the time?" Ada asked, scanning the narrow hall they entered. It was dark until she reached the end, flicking on an ancient pot light that did little to dispel the shadows.

"Auntie is sensitive to sounds, so I try to keep things quiet." She gestured at the narrow staircase as she passed, entering a petite kitchen done in shades of moss and muted browns. Maggie pulled out a chair on one side of the little square dining table which took up much of the floor. "So, what kind of 'impossible' thing did you do?" Her fingers curved around the word.