In Too Deep

Ada's morning began with a long shower and a full body inspection in the mirror. She had used up half the jar of arnica already treating these bruises, but it was helping. The pain was only to the touch now, and only the deepest purples remained saturated. As she applied yet another coat in the steamy room, her phone buzzed twice: one text from Charles, and a Snap from Sam. She couldn't check either with salve on her hands. Her heart raced as she worked with clumsy fingers to cover every bruise.

It took two washes to get traces of the oils off her hands before she could finally see what nightmare was in store for her that day. She saved Sam's message for after, a palette cleanser. The message from Charles was short, it fit right into the preview box.

'Well? Did you live?'

As filled with dread as she was, Ada still managed an exasperated eye roll before responding. 'Yes, barely. We'll meet for dinner.'

She was expecting worse from them. Guess they heard about the fire. Were they actually concerned about her well-being or just the success of the payout?

Sam's message was much more uplifting. A video loaded, shot from the deck behind the enormous brick house they visited on their farm. People milled about in the garden in light autumnal clothing, though it was probably considerably chillier there. The flower beds were beginning to wilt, though some late bloomers were full of life and encroaching on the path that wound through the space. There were far more people there than their last visit. A few she recognised, most she didn't.

"Is this for Ada? Yo, give her my Snap, I am dying for car updates!" Jonesy was sitting on one of the stout stone walls holding back the gardens with some of his friends, or cousins, and jumped to his feet. He shouted it at her then, and she heard Sam's soft snicker.

It seemed like everyone had a large plate of eggs, bacon, sausages, and toast before them as she passed. Curious eyes followed her, staring right at the camera as soft classical music drifted through the background. Some smiled, others went back to their conversations after only a pause. Sam stopped walking, camera pointed at a picnic bench at the end of the garden where Cain, Aidan, Chase, and a stunning woman who could be none other than Aidan's mother were seated. The group was chatting, and though she couldn't hear them over the others, it was clear the conversation was amicable.

Aidan noticed Sam as she approached, and then the camera, and grinned widely. His hand closed over it, and Ada thought it would end there, but a moment later the view twisted so Ada could see Sam. Her full, dimpled cheeks were rosy as she gave a bashful smile. She had her hair in a braid over one shoulder, and Ada laughed heartily when she noticed she was wearing Ada's purple hoodie. She had been wondering where it had gone.

Ada sent her a picture back, though with her coffee mug obscuring her neck. Still no good explanation yet to give her, beyond saying she was mugged and fought back. It might work, but something just wasn't sitting right with her. After, she added Jonesy and sent him a picture of the Lexus she was going to buy.

Just as she closed the app, she paused and reopened her chat with Sam. She added, 'How the hell does Jonsey have Snap?'

A moment later, she responded. 'A lot has changed here. Tell you more when I get back.'

With a sigh, Ada let it go. She was probably too busy to go into it, Ada would just have to be patient. There was enough on her plate for the day. Seeing Jocelyn and Charles was about the last thing she wanted to do, but she had to get it over with. She wanted this problem done with before Sam returned. She just wanted her life to go back to normal.

Ah, but it wouldn't be over with them. Ada still had to face whatever the hell had happened with her lighter. Even facing it this much made her want to recoil. She couldn't handle any more weirdness.