Chapter 7

Denmark, 1764

Rold Skov

Her scent.

The girl eyed the Priestess suspiciously. How would giving up her scent protect her from her enemies? The Priestess seemed to sense her confusion and smiled "Your scent is unique. Without it, you will appear like an ordinary werewolf"

The girl shuddered at the thought of disguising herself as a wolf. She would not disrespect her parents' memory by pretending to be one of those vile creatures. Disgusting Mutts. The girl opened her mouth to reject the Priestess' offer but the woman quickly continued "Your prejudice against the werewolves will be your demise, Little Lycan"

The girl scoffed "They killed my family. They are dirt"

The Priestess's face darkened and when she spoke, her words were no longer soft "The werewolves are children of the Moon Goddess. It will do you well to remember that all her creations are equals"

The girl's father would strongly disagree with the Priestess's beliefs. He had taught her that the Lycan's longevity and physical superiority proved that they were meant to rule over the lesser wolves. Her father died trying to protect the hierarchy he so passionately believed in.

The girl decided that it was best to not further anger the Priestess and remained silent.

"Do you wish to accept the Goddess' gift and sacrifice your scent for your safety?" asked the Priestess. The woman's face had returned to its serene state. As she spoke, the pond's water slowly began to shimmer and a silver glow illuminated the small clearing.

The girl paused. What did she want?

She wanted to be safe.

She wanted revenge.

She wanted to be free.

Suddenly, the girl's choice was clear. She did not want to live the rest of her life on the run. The girl did not know what losing her scent would entail, but if it allowed her to live without fear, it would be worth the risk.

"I accept the Moon Goddess' gift" stammered the girl.

The moon seemed to shine brighter at her response and the water in the pond rippled.

The Priestess nodded "Then submerge yourself into these blessed waters and give thanks to our Goddess"

Without giving herself time to reconsider, the girl launched herself into the freezing waters of the pond.

Present

Her bright red thong was on the floor.

All of her belongings were scattered across her apartment, but that cursed red thong greeted Lena and Rune as they entered her home.

Her small bachelor apartment was completely trashed. Every drawer, cabinet and closet had been emptied onto the floor. Lena clenched her fist and fought the urge to growl. She was furious. While she was not usually sentimental, the sight of her few belongings scattered across the room made her feel a little homicidal.

Lena was still gaping at her destroyed room when Rune silently pulled out his phone and put the phone to his ear, "Iris? I need you to meet me at the address I just texted you. Bring Roman and Micah. Leave n-"

Lena cut off the phone call by swatting the phone from Rune's hand. His phone flew across the room and soundlessly landed in a pile of her clothes.

"What. The. Hell" he whirled on her. His chestnut hair fell in front of his eyes and he furiously pushed it back. He took a step towards her and Lena was acutely aware of their closeness. His earthy scent and dominant energy were intoxicating.