Chapter 2

Lena remembered the first time she almost died.

That night had smelt of blood, fire and the same woodsy scent that was currently wafting out the room at the end of the hall. God what an awful smell.

She hated werewolves.

They were selfish and territorial creatures that all seemed to lack common sense. Guided by their simple and basic instincts, werewolves always stuck their dirty little paws where they did not belong.

Lena's head began to throb. She was applying to work for a werewolf. This was a new low. Lena began to retreat back to the main part of the bar. She needed to get to her apartment. She needed to make herself a stiff drink while she harshly reevaluated every life decision she had ever made up until this moment.

"Lena? Lena Toluca?" called a low-pitched voice from the end of the hall.

The door at the end of the hall swung open and revealed and tall man who appeared to be in his mid-forties. He was dressed in a flannel and jeans that made him look more like a lumberjack than a bar owner.

"Are you Lena Toluca?" inquired the werewolf. Lena assumed this must be Dean.

Lena stared at him. Her escape plan no longer seemed possible. At least it was no longer possible without causing a commotion.

"Yeah. That's me" replied Lena, surprising herself with the amount of enthusiasm that leaked into her voice. Gross.

"Pleased to meet you, Miss Toluca. Please come have a seat in my office". Dean held open the door to the office and beckoned Lena to enter.

Lena sighed and followed Dean into his small, cramped office.

"I am honestly surprised that someone with a resume as impressive as yours would want to work at my bar" Dean paused and gave her and evaluating look, "but I am even more surprised that a rogue would apply"

Lena stiffened. She should have caused a commotion; it would have been less painful than this conversation. Lena quickly stood up and was about to make her quick gateway when Dean exclaimed "No! Wait! I didn't mean to scare you"

Scare Lena? Fat chance. The last time Lena was scared of a werewolf she was five years old.

"I don't want any trouble. I just wanted a job, but I can see that it was a mistake" Lena flashed Dean a tight smile, "I'll leave now"

Dean obviously ignored her attempt at escaping and quickly said "Listen. My brother is the Alpha and he told me that a rogue had been granted permission to attend school in our territory. I am guessing you are that rogue, right? So you are here completely legally. Your resume is beyond impressive. Way too impressive. You can have the job if you want it".

Dean stared at Lena expectantly. Did he honestly expect her to take the job? At a werewolf bar? Her parents would be rolling in their graves if they could see her now. Lena tried to come up with an easy excuse that would not lead to any questions.

"I do my best to stay away from wolves. I didn't realize that this was a werewolf bar. If I had I would have never applied" said Lena. It was not even a lie. Lena had never worked in a wolf bar and did not plan on changing that anytime soon

"We aren't just a werewolf bar!" exclaimed Dean, "A bunch of our regulars are humans. I prefer to keep family and business separate"

Lena paused. She took that moment to examine Dean. He was tall, not as tall as the bear-man, but definitely taller than the average human. It was obvious that he had muscles underneath his lumberjack apparel, but owning a bar had added a few pounds to his midsection. He would not be a threat.

Dean seemed to think that Lena's silence indicated that she was still interested in the position as he said "Plus if you decide to work here you will be afforded protection by the pack!"

Lena's eyeballs did a 360o.

"I don't need protection" she snapped back.

It was time to make her escape. This werewolf obviously struggled with rejection and she was losing her patience. Lena was going to require some alcohol therapy after this interview. She had a bottle of red wine at home that was looking like her new best friend for the night.

Lena reached for the door handle and pulled. And froze.

Five meaty fingers had wrapped around her upper arm.

This werewolf was about to learn how to fly.

"Let go of my arm or I'll remove your arm from your body" Lena's voice came out as a deadly whisper. Bear-man was going to have to find a new boss.

Dean seemed to sense the danger and quickly removed his hand.

"I-I'm sorry. I really need the help and you are honestly perfect for the job" Dean backed away from Lena, raising his hands up in surrender "My last bartender quit last month and I am desperate"

"I. Don't. Care" replied Lena. She continued to glare at Dean and he took another step backwards. She was still considering if she was going to leave Dean with one less limb.

"I am sorry for grabbing you. It was wrong of me. Please just consider the job. Our pack has been welcoming to rogues in the past. Our beta was actually one! He's a lycan. Have you ever met one of them? He comes to the bar every weekend! If you take the job I am sure you'll meet him" Dean was almost breathless after he finished his little speech.

Every muscle in Lena's body tensed. A lycan. She had no idea that there was on in Maine, let alone that he was the Beta of the Stillwater Pack. She was screwed. So incredibly screwed. She fought the urge to run, and not stop running until she was deep into the Canadian wilderness.

Lena had not seen a lycan since she was twelve but she could still remember how deadly they were when angered. Lycans were similar to werewolves like how house cats were similar to panthers. Lycans were incredibly long-lived creatures but there were only around a hundred left worldwide. In-fighting and territory disputes had been one of the many reasons for their near extinction.

Territorial idiots.

It was strange to learn that this mysterious Lycan had chosen to be the Beta of the Stillwater pack. A lowly Omega Lycan would be stronger and more violent than an Alpha werewolf. Even though the urge to run was strong, the reckless side of Lena wished to see this lycan. The fact that this lycan chose to be ruled by a werewolf intrigued her.

Lena turned to fully face Dean and smiled.

"I'll take the job"

Hey again, author here. Let me know what you think of the story so far.  Vote and comment!