Chapter 6

Denmark, 1764

Rold Skov

The girl eyed the woman wearily.

The Priestess had guided her to a small pond in the center of an empty clearing. Even though the breeze was strong enough to rustle the trees, the water in the pond remained undisturbed.

The Priestess stood on the opposite side of the pond. She stood motionless with her head was tilted back and her arms stretched out above her head. The girl cautiously watched the woman as her body began to sway. The air in the clearing seemed to respond to her movements. A perfect circular ripple suddenly formed in the middle of the pond. The girl tensed. She had not seen anything disturb the water's surface. As the Priestess' body swayed faster and faster, small waves began to form in the pond.

Suddenly, the women stopped moving and the rippling subsided and the pond returned to its original glassy state.

"No matter where you hide child, they will find you" said the Priestess. Her face remained serene but her voice held an edge of sadness. She continued "Our Goddess does not wish to see you return to the earth so soon"

The girl stiffened. She did not want to have to always be running and hiding. She was already so tired.

"Can I stay with you? Can you keep me safe" whispered the girl. She did not want to be alone anymore.

The Priestess slowly shook her head and said "No child. You cannot".

Tears welled in the back of the girl's throat. She should have known better than to hope.

"But our Goddess can offer you a different type of protection. One that will keep you hidden from those who wish to harm you"

The girl's breathing hitched and she looked at the Priestess expectantly.

The Priestess' serene expression turned somber and the girl knew that whatever she was about to say was going to be serious.

"To truly remain hidden you will have to make a great sacrifice. And before you accept, remember child, sacrifices always have consequences"

"Anything. I will give up anything so I don't have to run anymore" exclaimed the girl. She did not care about the consequences. Nothing could be worse than her current reality.

The Priestess sadly shook her head and sighed "You will have to give up your scent"

Present

Lena wanted to curl up in a ball and die.

The car ride was uncomfortably silent. Even Elijah seemed to sense the tension between Lena and Rune and wisely stayed quiet. Thank the Goddess.

Lena regretted her decision to accept the ride the instant she sat down. It was impossible to escape Rune's intoxicating scent. She almost cried in relief when her apartment came into view.

"I don't know about you two but I'll look back at the memory of this car ride quite fondly" chuckled Elijah as the car pulled into the driveway of her building.

Lena glared at the back of his head and her hand curled into a fist. Before she could tell Elijah to shut his fat mouth, he had already continued, "Lena maybe next time try to chill with the fangirling over my poor lycan friend here. It looks like you are making him a wee bit uncomfortable".

Fangirling.

Lena's cheeks turned crimson. She opened and closed her mouth, desperately searching for something to say. Her mate now thought that she was some crazy lycan super fan. Lena was going to kill Elijah. Slowly. Rune stayed completely quiet which only made her cheeks redden further. She needed to leave this car.