Chapter 1

The University of Maine was overwhelmingly ordinary.

The colours of the campus seemed to be muted, almost as if they had been washed away by years of heavy rain and snowfall. The students appeared to match their mundane backdrop as they strolled to their respective classes.

Lena was in a foul mood.

This University had not been her first, second or third choice when she had decided to attend school in the States. Unfortunately, while she had been accepted to all the Universities that she had applied for, her applications to their nearby packs had been denied. All of them except the Stillwater Pack.

Lena stood in the grass beside the sidewalk as she surveyed her new classmates. Their faces all blended together as moved past her. A few of them glanced at Lena as they passed by, but they all quickly averted their gaze once they made eye contact.

She should have stayed in Mexico for a few more years. At least there the people were welcoming and the alcohol was cheap.

Maybe Lena was being slightly dramatic, but when she had envisioned the dream American school experience, it was definitely not here. Definitely not in the state that was most famous for its lobster. Lena did not even like lobster.

With a huff, Lena started to make her way to the University Bookstore. She had to pick up her textbooks before her next job interview. Which was in 30 minutes. Damn, Lena thought to herself as she picked up her pace, she could not be late to another interview.

Lena had been applying to various bars that were near the University. She enjoyed working in a bar. Drunk people were simple and easy to handle. Sober people were the problem. Sober people would ask questions about the lies Lena told when she was asked about her background and family. Lena disliked lying, which was surprising for someone who had been on the run since she was five years old.

As she neared the Bookstore, Lena realized her mistake. The line into the store was at least twenty students long. Damn, Damn, Damn. There was no way she was going to be able to buy her textbooks today.

This University royally sucked.

Lena looked down at her watch. I guess I'll be early to an interview for a change, she thought as she turned around and started to make her way the bar.

The bar was located across the Stillwater River, just outside of the University Campus. It was also conveniently located near her new apartment. A prime location for Lena who did not own a car. Maybe she should have put more effort into preparing for this interview. Lena scoffed at that thought. She had likely been bartending longer than the owner had been alive.

Reaching into her bag, Lena retrieved a small mirror. The last thing she needed was to arrive at her interview looking like she had been living in the woods for a week. Which she had been doing up until this morning when she received the keys for her apartment. But her potential new boss did not need to know that.

Looking in the mirror, Lena could see that her usual shoulder-length wavy brown hair was more frizz than wave. Quickly, raking her fingers through her hair, Lena was able to tame the frizz to a socially acceptable level before moving her critical gaze to her face. She was satisfied to find that her tan skin appeared to be clean of any forest dirt. Her blue eyes were framed by thick lashes that she had inherited from her mother. Her mother. No. Lena quickly stopped her train of thought. That emotionally draining door did not need to be opened right before the interview.

Or ever.

Snapping the mirror close, Lena picked up her pace until she reached the entrance of the bar. The bar was located just off the main street but backed onto a dense green forest. Lena yearned to strip off her clothes and run into that forest and not stop running until her muscles burned. Screw the interview.

She had not had a real run since moving here from Mexico City. Lena missed her old forest, Nevedo de Toluca, which had been free of any other supernatural creatures. It had been one of the only places where she had truly been able to let down her numerous walls and feel real freedom and safety.

Lena sighed. Why had she ever left?

She could have stayed there for a few more years without anyone questioning why she had not aged. But Lena knew why she had had to leave. She had started becoming attached. She had started forming real friendships with her co-workers and neighbours. She had started to let her guard down and that was not allowed.

So Lena had done what was necessary and ran. Packed up her few belongings, booked the first flight to the USA without looking at the destination, and left. No goodbyes and no looking back. It was not the first time Lena had done it and it would not be the last.

Turning away from the forest, Lena turned a skeptical gaze to the bar. The sign above the door read "Little Red Riding Hood" in bright red cursive writing. Lena rolled her eyes. What a dumb name for a bar. But it did not matter. As long as the owners paid her and the patrons tipped well, Lena did not care what the bar was called.

As Lena opened the door to the bar, she was greeted by a man who looked more like a bear than a man. He was a good head and a half taller than Lena but appeared even taller due to his large burly build. His small dark eyes met hers and he scowled.

"We're closed girl. Can't ya read"

Lena blinked. Rude.

"I'm here for an interview. My name is Lena Toluca and I am here to meet with Dean" replied Lena, unfazed by bear-man's unwelcoming demeanour.

It took more than an impressive beard and scowl to scare Lena. A lot more.

Bear-man just huffed and stepped to the side.

Lena took that as her invitation to enter. As she passed the bear-man, Lena gave him a wink that she was sure was going to annoy him. She was rewarded with a growl that almost made her giggle.

Continuing into the bar with a giddy smile plastered to her face, Lena searched for someone who looked like they owned the bar. There was no way that she could ask bear-man for help now.

The bar was completely empty. It had a nice warm feel that almost remind Lena of her old bar back in Mexico City. It smelled of pine and liquor which complimented the wooden interior. Lena could tell that this bar was likely more popular with the locals than with the university students. Good, Lena thought, students were trash at tipping.

Lena's spotted a door labelled "Employees Only". Bingo. Quickly giving herself an internal peep talk, Lena made her way to the door. She found herself actually hoping to get this job, especially because she figured it would piss off bear-man.

Lena gripped the door handle and pulled it open. Immediately the smile fell from her face. The unfortunately familiar woodsy scent accosted her scenes. This scent was one that she had hoped to actively avoid during her time in Maine. It was the scent of a werewolf.

Damn

If you enjoyed this chapter drop a like or comment. I love feedback so let me know - no comment is too mean, make me cry. Peace out.