Chapter 3

Bear-man's name turned out to be Paul.

Lena had made it her mission over the past week to make Paul laugh. The most she had earned so far was a shadow of a smile when she had told a particularly dirty joke about a werewolf and a priest. Dean had seemed a bit offended by the joke but he had not said anything. Lena was beginning to think that he was a little afraid of her. That thought put a smile on her face.

She had also learned that even though Paul was a human working in a werewolf bar, the supernatural patrons all seemed to respect and even fear him. Lena had witnessed him break up a few fights by simply glaring at the perpetrators until they reconsidered their actions. He was kind of awesome.

Lena had been working at the bar for a week and had met a few of the pack members including the Alpha's son, Elijah. He appeared to be in his mid-twenties and was a serial flirt. When he and his posse strutted into the bar during her first shift, Lena knew that he was trouble. His ashy blonde hair was appeared to be carelessly tousled on top of his head, but Lena suspected that he had likely work quite hard to make his curls look like that. His lazy and carefree look was too clean to be genuine.

Lena was torn from her reverie by someone calling her name from across the bar.

It was Elijah.

He was sitting with his friends in their reserved both. Lena considered ignoring him. For an alpha's son, he was truly awful at tipping.

Elijah called her name again. Louder this time.

She looked up and their eyes locked. Elijah raised his hand and wiggled his pointer finger, beckoning her to come over. Well, she definitely was not going over now. Get up and order from the bar like everyone else.

Not breaking eye contact, Lena flashed him a sweet smile and raised her middle finger.

Elijah frowned and Lena turned to serve another patron. Most of the werewolves here seemed tolerable, but Elijah and his massive head made her want to move states.

"If I didn't know better LeLe, I would think you didn't like me very much"

Lena stiffened at the nickname and turned around to find Elijah leaning against the bar.

Mutt.

"Good thing you do know better Ellie" Lena batted her eyelashes at Elijah, who seemed unaffected by her clear annoyance.

"You've only been working here for a week; it usually takes people at least a month to become so grouchy with me" Elijah grumbled as he drew a smiley face out of spilt beer on the bar counter.

"You and your cronies didn't tip me on my first shift" Lena snapped back.

Elijah raised an eyebrow "We were drunk"

"Everyone here is drunk"

Elijah opened his mouth and then quickly closed it. Suddenly a mischievous smile appeared on his face that made Lena tense. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a crisp 50$ bill. Elijah bowed slightly at the waist and handed her the bill with an unnecessary amount of flourish and said "Please accept my humble peace offering Miss Toluca. I hope this will bring us one step closer to becoming the bestest of friends"

Lena was not proud enough not to take the mutt's money so she quickly snatched it from his hand and purred "No promises on the friendship, but I will stop watering down your beer"

His eyes widened "Wha-"

She cut him off by turning around and walking to the other side of the bar. She was being paid to serve people alcohol, not babysit the Alpha Junior.

The rest of her night went by without any more drama. It was almost closing time when Dean approached her.

"Hey Lena, great work tonight" Dean smiled "I have a big favour to ask of you"

Lena grimaced. If he asks me to pick up another shift tomorrow, I might break his hand.

"Can you pick up another shift tomorrow"

Lena opened her mouth to politely tell Dean to hold out his hand when he quickly continued "I know you have worked the past 6 nights, but I'll pay you overtime! It's my brother's birthday and the whole pack is gunna come here for an after-party. Please Lena. I'll owe you"

The whole pack was going to be here tomorrow.

"I'll work it Dean. But I am taking one of your top-shelf whiskies home as a thank-you present"

Dean opened his mouth to protest but must have seen that Lena was not in the mood to negotiate and wisely closed his mouth.

Lena smiled. She would have done it without the bottle of whiskey. It was honestly surprising the Dean had a drop of alpha blood in him, the man really lacked a spine sometimes.

"Uh. Thanks Lena. See you tomorrow I guess" Dean mumbled as he made his departure.

Lena packed up the rest of her few belongings, grabbed the most expensive bottle of whiskey she could find and made her way out the door. As she was leaving Paul eyed the whiskey bottle that was tucked under her arm with clear disapproval. Lena blew him a kiss.

"Yer more trouble than yer worth" huffed Paul

"Absolutely" Lena replied as she tried to move around but Paul's massive frame blocked her attempt.

"Listen Lena. Be careful tomorrow. I know ya can take care of yer self, but Dean's family can be a bit... err rough"

Lena blinked. Was Paul worried about her? That was unexpected.

Paul must have seen her confusion and rolled his dark eyes.

"Git a move on girl. Best to start early with that bottle if you wanna be functionin' in time for yer shift tomorrow"

That Lena could do. She gave Paul a small smile as she passed him and started to walk to her apartment.

Her apartment was only a ten-minute walk from the bar. The night was cool and Lena had to again fight the urge to not shift and run into the woods that seemed to be calling for her. She shook her head at her own recklessness. She was in a werewolf territory; it was not worth the risk.

As Lena continued to walk she could not shake the sense that she as being watched. There were no werewolves following her that she could smell. Their nauseating woodsy scent was almost impossible to ignore.

Maybe it is just Paul making sure that she made home safe. What a softie. A very unexpected softie. Lena could not help but smile.

Then she grimaced. She had only been here for a week and she was already starting to like people. No attachments. That simple rule had kept her alive this far, and she would not change it now simply because a bouncer showed concern for her.

With her apartment in sight, Lena found herself relieved that whoever her stalker was kept their distance. She really did not want her date with this whiskey bottle to be delayed.

As Lena cracked the seal on the bottle and poured herself a hefty glass of the amber liquid, she smiled. Tomorrow she going to finally meet the entire Stillwater Pack which included their mysterious Lycan Beta.

Lena finished her drink and poured herself another, and another, and another until darkness guided her into oblivion. 

Hello all, nice to see everyone. Feel free to leave a vote or comment I like criticism.