Chapter 9

Azula's POV

I was staring out of the window of Balthazar's office. We had one day left before the poison killed Lui. The thought brings tears to my eyes every time, so I try to stay away from those thoughts and pray to Neve he makes it. Balthazar scribbled away on his paperwork, trying to distract himself instead of hovering over the healers as they worked. We both jumped when Laceria burst into the room with a healer and Atros. "We need a Priestess of Oria," Laceria said while dropping a book on Balthazar's desk. I went over and looked at it. There was the thing that attacked Lui. "They're creatures of darkness that use a poison that only light of purity can cure," the healer explained. "We thought them long gone, but it's clear Deckland learned the dark arts and summoned them here."

Oria was the Goddess of Burning and Blinding light, and there was only one temple. On the other side of the world. By the time we got one here, it could be too late for Lui. Yulen then came in, "I'll go." "You don't possess the magic to instant travel such a far distance," I said, worry clenching me.

"It's not up for discussion mother," Yulen growled. Balthazar growled, "Watch your tone." Yulen went over to the maps that were on the wall, planning his journey. "I'll be back," he said then an instant later, he was gone. If he pushed his magic too much, he'll kill himself, then I'll lose both my sons.

I can't lose them. I felt my lungs constrict as I swayed. Strong hands steadied me. "Breathe," Balthazar said to me. "He's going to kill himself pushing his magic like that," I said, tears filling my eyes. "I can't loose my boys Balthazar." He pulled me to him, hugging me tightly. I cried into his shirt, easily exhausting myself. I haven't slept since Lui was injured. Anytime I tried, I kept seeing him dead, and seeing that made me sick to the point I was puking my guts up.

Balthazar scooped me up bridal style, "I am going to tend to your mother. Let me know when Yulen returns." He then carried me out of his office, to our room, with me crying silent tears the entire time. Balthazar sat on the bed with me in his lap. He ran his hand over my back until I sagged in his arms, no energy left to cry anymore tears. He helped me out of my clothes and into one of his shirts. "Please try to rest," he pleaded. "Everytime I close my eyes I keep seeing him broken and bloody on the ground," I whispered to him. He brushed the hair from my face and I sniffled. I then felt his magic.

"What are you doing," I whispered, seeing darkness creep into my vision. "Ensuring you get a good night's rest without nightmares," he said. "But Yulen," I said, trying to fight it. "I will wake you when Iearn anything or if he returns," he assured me. He then placed a kiss on my forehead and everything went black.

Balthazar's POV

I hated forcing her to sleep that way, but I had no choice. She was going to kill herself at the rate she was going. She was going to need her strength to survive if our sons do perish. I tried to get some rest as well but it was useless. I placed a tender kiss on her forehead before leaving the room. I walked around the castle, trying to get my thoughts straight. If Yulen makes it there and can make it back, he should be back soon. I prayed the Goddess Tabitha did her best to assist him. 

I found Laceria sleeping outside of Lui's room with Atros who was holding her in his lap. "Need help getting her to her room," I asked him. He shook his head, "She threatened to stake my man hood to the wall if I moved her. She wants to be here when Yulen returns." I nodded in understanding. I sat in the chair beside them and waited. 

It was another hour before Yulen returned with a young Priestess who was in her twenties. Yulen collapsed, unconscious. "The Prince informed me what was going on," she said to us. "Where is Prince Lui?" Laceria woke at the sound of her voice. "He is this way," I said while standing as Laceria and Atros rushed to Yulen. Healers assisted them as we entered the room. 

The Priestess looked over Lui. "Where is the point of entry," the Priestess asked the healer who was helping slow the poison. "His back," the answered. I assisted in rolling him over on to his front. She worked quickly to start removing the poison while I went to wake Azula. 

Lui's POV

I was floating in a pit of darkness, feeling immense pain. Make it stop. Can anyone hear me? How can no one hear me? My screams were echoing throughout, but I couldn't see the one causing my torture. What was happening to me? 

Suddenly there was a light. I was blinded, and the pain vanished. It then felt like I was being pulled through a dense sea. When I got to the surface, I sucked in the air greedily then coughed. I heard a whimper. I cracked open an eye and saw I was in the infirmary room.  My memories before I was plunged into eternal darkness then came rushing back. I was attacked, my wings taken from me. 

"Lui," a shakey voice said. I opened my eyes again and saw my parents. Both had tears in their eyes. I saw a woman sitting in a chair beside them, looking exhausted. She had hair the color of sunlight, her skin the color of snow, and eyes the color of blue and purple flames. I felt the pull in my chest, making me breathless. 

"How do you feel," my mom asked me. "Tired," I said, moving my eyes to her. "What happened?" "It's a long story," father said. "We'll tell you once you've regained your strength." Mom turned to the woman sitting in the chair, "Thank you so much for saving our son Priestess Vidya." "You don't need to thank me," she said. "I will be staying in case any others are infected." "We will have a room prepared for you," father said to her with a nod. 

I noticed the sun mark on her forehead that sparkled depending how the sunlight from the window hit it. It was the mark of Oria, the Goddess of Blinding and Burning light. Just what in Gods name happened to me to require the help of a Priestess? I must have been in some serious shit. 

My mother kissed my forehead before her and my father left the room to go get some rest. Priestess Vidya moved to sit on the edge of my bed, "We will discuss the mating bond once you have your strength back." She took my hand and gave it a squeeze. "Get some rest." I gave a tired nod before falling into a dreamless sleep.