Chapter 9

Everyone is back on the airship and is preparing for what to come. I stood with Leorio, Kurapika and Gon, "Good job on passing guys! I knew you could do it!" I smile. Leorio's face suddenly turns serious.

"Thanks but... I was pathetic..." Leorio scratches the back of his head, "I needed Kurapika's and Gon's help during the Fourth Phase." he pulls a determined face, "I promise I'll return the favour." but then he flushes and looks away, "So... Thanks, you two." We smile at him, and I pat his back.

The intercom on the ship starts up, "I have an announcement for all applicants." We turn our attention to the speakers, "We would like everyone to come to the meeting room for further instructions." At this, we all look at each other. Nodding, we walk together to the meeting room.

We arrive at the meeting room with the other applicants, and a few minutes later, the Examiners file into the room. Netero coughs, "First, I'd like to commend you on your hard work. The ten of you here make up all who passed the Fourth Phase, though I'm a little surprised to discover that seven out of the ten are rookies." He smiles, "This year has been extraordinary!" he exclaims laughing.

Netero continues, "On average, one rookie passes the Hunter Exam every three years or so, but there's something like a cycle to these things. After about ten years or so with no one passing... suddenly there's a year like this one where we have so many talented young applicants!"

"So that makes us the talented young applicants!" Leorio chuckles.

Kurapika side-eyes him and says, "You shouldn't say that yourself. For one thing, we haven't exactly passed the Exam yet."

"There's nothing to be nervous about." Hanzo interjects, "We've made it this far; we've just as good as passed this thing. I mean, after all, this is the Final Phase, you know. And if we manage to pass it, then we will become members of the elite society of Hunters." Hanzo leans in and smirks, "Isn't that right, Mr. Chairman?"

With a deadpan face, Netero replies, "Gee, you sure talk a lot for a ninja. The Final Phase will take place in three day's time at the Hunter Association Hotel. Until then, I suggest you try and get some rest." With that, the examiners start filing out of the room.

"Just one question, what's the Final Phase gonna be?" Leorio asks.

Waving a finger in the air, Netero cheekily replies, "It's... a... secret!"

"What the..." Leorio retorts as Netero laughs.

"Ohoho, gives you guys something to look forward to!" Netero shouts from outside of the room.

Evening comes, and the lights turn on. Most of us sit around in a circle, Hisoka is making a card tower at the side, and Illumi is in the corner. Hanzo makes conversation, "Last time we were on this airship, it was completely packed. Now with only nine of us on board, it sure feels empty."

"What that old man Netero was saying before, I sure don't like the sound of it... I wonder what he's got in store for us." Leorio states, vigilant.

Kurapika replies, "At this stage, there's no use worrying about stuff like that."

Groaning, Leorio gripes, "Uwah! Would you stop being such a downer? Everyone here is all tense, so the least you could do is lighten the mood."

"O-oh... I didn't realise." taken aback, Kurapika replies and scans everyone sitting in the circle.

Leorio looks down, closing his eyes, "Besides, we've all worked so hard to get this far. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all pass together?"

Crossing his arms and chuckling, "That's unlike you." Killua remarks.