Chapter 5

The gates creaked open, revealing a spacious front yard leading to a mansion at the end. The two examiners, Buhara and Menchi sit in the building. They introduce themselves to everyone who passed the first phase. Everyone crowded around them, tensed, and we waited for the next test announcement. Suddenly, there was a loud rumble, breaking that tension.

Bewildered whispers spread, but soon after Menchi announces, "There you have it. Phase Two will involve..." The air is tense once again, "... Cooking!"

Shouts of disbelief rose from the participants.

"That's quite right, Your challenge for the Second Phase is to produce a dish that will satisfy our palette." Mechi's clear and firm voice rings out. An angry participant questions why they needed to cook. In response, she introduces herself and Buhara as Gourmet Hunters with pride.

The crowd jeers with mocking laughter.

'These guys don't have any respect huh? I know cooking sounds really out there for an exam that places your life on the line, but they still are hunters. Disrespecting them only harms yourself and other's the chance of passing at all.'

I frown at the current situation. Mechi's criteria will be stricter now. Hisoka's bloodlust for a challenge directed at the two isn't helping either.

"Anyone who has any objections can just go home." With that line, the crowd is silenced. There are still mutters of dissatisfaction. They explain that for the Second Phase, Buhara will order something, and when we pass Buhara's order, we will move on to Menchi's. The crowd starts to get rowdy again. I sigh. Menchi, annoyed, repeats herself, "Look, as I said before, if you don't want to take the test, you're free to go home."

The crowd gets even angrier and Hanzo shouts, "How annoying. If you're gonna complain, seriously, go home!"

"Um... Can you continue with what you were saying?" Gon pipes up.

Menchi, who seems to calm down at that, explains that if we make them both say 'It's delicious', then they will pass. The test will end when they are full.

"Damn, I've never cooked in my life." Leorio clicks his tongue, worried.

"I never expected this," comments Kurapika.

Gon claims that he has cooked before, to which Leorio says that it is surprising. But Gon goes on to say it's raw egg on rice to which they sweatdrop to. They then turn to me, expecting something. I smile, not bothered by what they were implicating. "Yea, I can cook. This is a test though so I can only give you hints."

They relax, accepting my decision.

With that, Buhara asks for a whole roast pig, his favourite. People expressed bafflement, questioning where to find pigs. In the end, we were sent off to the forest to hunt for them. I walk around with the Gon squad, explaining, "A whole roast pig is a rather simple and traditional dish. It only needs salt and pepper, though if you want to stand out you'll need to add something to it. You'll also need to watch how strong the fire is. Oh, and you're free to watch me if you want." They nod seriously.

.:~*~:.

We continue the hike, Gon slides down a hill, followed by Killua and me.

As a result, though, I crashed into Killua, "Oof, sorry Kil-" before I could finish, Leorio and Kurapika crashed into me too.

"What was that about, Gon!" Killua complains.

"Found them"

We all look up to see pigs. "Pigs!" but then Leorio's voice cracks as he states "Uh... They're chewing on bones."