Chapter 9: Science

Amelia POV

"The gamma readings are definitely consistent with Selvig's reports on on the tesseract. But it's gonna take weeks to process it." Bruce said aggravated.
"If we bypass their mainframe and direct a reroute to the Homer cluster, we can clock this around six hundred teraflops." Dad said.
" All I packed was a tooth brush." Bruce randomly said. What in the bloody hell does a tooth brush got to do with anything.
"You know, you should come by at Stark Towers sometime. Top ten floors, R and D. You'd love it, it's like candy land." Dad said being weird.
"Thanks, but the last time I was in New York I kinda broke. . . Harlem." Bruce said.
"Well, I promise a stress free environment. No tension. No surprises." Dad said as he pokes Bruce with an electrical shock device.
"Ow!" Bruce yelled in pain.
"Nothing." Dad said as he looked at Bruce closely, and being an idiot.
Steve comes strolling in. "Hey! Are you nuts?" Steve exclaimed at Dad.
"You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? A huge bag of weed?" Dad stupidly asked. I shook my head.
"Is everything a joke to you?" Steve asked my dad disapprovingly.
"Funny things are." Dad said absent minded.
"Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship, isn't funny. No offense, Doctor." Steve said seriously.
"No, it's . . . . it's alright. I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things." Bruce confessed.
"You're tiptoeing, big man." Dad told him.
"You need to strut." I finished.
"And you need to focus on the problem, Mr.Stark." Steve snarled at my dad.
"You think I'm not? Why did Fury call us and why now? Why not before? What isn't he telling us. I can't do the equations unless I see all the variables." Dad asked suspiciously.
"You think Fury's hiding something?" Steve questioned.
"He's a spy, captain. He's THE spy. His secrets have secrets." I said mysteriously.
"It's bugging him too, isn't it?" Dad asked pointing at Bruce. I nodded, smiling.
"Uh..... I just want to finish my work here and......" Bruce said unable to finish his sentence.
"Doctor?" Steve asked cautiously.
"A warm light for all mankind to share, Loki's jab at Fury about the cube." Bruce said.
"I heard it." Steve said pointing at my dad.
"Well I think that was meant for you. Even Barton didn't post that all over the news." Bruce said.
"The Stark Tower? That big ugly.... building in New York?" Steve insulted. 1. Stark Towers isn't ugly. Ok, 2. You are just a little 90 year old from Brooklyn that's trapped in a 25 year olds body and that has been asleep for the passed 70 years, and also wears tights. And, 3. so why the hell are you even talking. I thought looking angered at Steve. Dad gave him a look.
"Its powered by Stark reactors, self-sustaining energy source. That building will run itself, for what, a year?" Bruce clarified.
"That's just the prototype. I'm kind of the only name in clean energy right now" Dad explained to them.
"So why didn't SHIElD bring him in on the tesseract project? I mean, what where they doing in the energy business in the first place?" Bruce questioned.
" I should probably look into that once my decryption programmed finishes breaking into all of SHIELD's secure files." Dad said.
"I'm sorry, did you say....?" Steve asked.
"Jarvis has been running since I hit the bridge. In a few hours we'll know every dirty secret SHIELD has ever tried to hide." Dad explained.
"Blueberry?" Dad asked Steve while pointing at a bag of blueberries.
"Yet, you're still confused about why they didn't want you around?" Steve asked dad.
"An intelligence organization that fears intelligence? Historical not possible." Dad said.
"I think Loki's trying to wind us up. This is a man that means to start war, and if don't stay focused, he'll succeed. We have orders we should follow them." Steve said.
"Following is not really my style." Dad said.
"And you're all about style, aren't you?" Steve mocked.
"Of all the people in this room, which is; a) wearing a spangly outfit and b) not of use." Dad mocked back.
"Steve, tell me that none of this smells a little funky to you?" Bruce questioned.
"Just find the cube." Steve said looking angry and walking out of the room.
"That's the guy my dad never shut up about? Wondering if they shouldn't have kept him on ice." Dad said referring to Steve.
"The guy's not wrong about Loki, he does have the jump on us." Bruce said.
"What he's got is a ACME dynamite kit. It's gonna blow up in his face, and I'm gonna be there when it does." Dad exclaimed.
" And I'll read all about it." Bruce said sarcastically.
"Uh-huh. Or you'll be suiting up like the rest of us." Dad said.
"Ah,see. I don't get a suit of armor. I'm exposed. Like a nerve. it's a nightmare." Bruce confessed.
"You know, I've got a cluster of shrapnel, trying every second to crawl its way into my heart." Dad also confessed pointing to the energy in his chest plate.
"This stops it. This little circle of light. It's part of me now, not just armor. It's a terrible privilege." Dad said.
"But you can control it." Bruce stated.
"He learnt how." I said.
"Its different." Bruce argued.
"Hey! I've read all about your accident. That much gamma exposer should have killed you" dad said.
"So your saying that the hulk, the other guy, saved my life? That's nice. It's a nice sentiment. Saved, for what?" Bruce asked.
"I guess we'll find out." Dad stated.
"You may not enjoy that." Bruce reasoned.
"You just might." Dad said.