Recovery

The ambulance pulls up to the hospital and Krista is whisked away as a nurse leads me to the waiting room. Trevor arrives shortly after, followed closely by Lauren and Brad.

"I called the chief of surgery on my way here and he's ok'd it for me to go back and assist with Krista's surgery. I need to get changed and scrub in, but I'll come give you an update as soon as we're done." Trevor pulls me into another hug. "Sadie, I promise, I'll take good care of Krista. I'll be back in a few hours."

I didn't want him to let me go, but I knew Krista needed him more than I did right now.

********

About four hours later, Trevor entered the waiting room again. The sight of Krista's blood on his light green scrubs caused my eyes to well up with tears and my head to drop into my hands.

Trevor gently cups my face, lifting my eyes to meet his. "Krista's surgery went well and we expect her to make a full recovery. It will likely be a while before she wakes up, but the three of you can go see her if you want."

I nod my head and Trevor takes my hand in his to lead me to Krista's room; Lauren and Brad following behind us.

Although the blood has been cleaned off Krista's face, I'm still shocked by the cuts, bruises and fresh stitches.

As if he's able to read my mind, Trevor squeezes my hand, "I know it looks bad now, but they'll fade as she heals. It'll just take time. In a few months, if she wants, I have a buddy that's a plastic surgeon that can reduce the scarring even more."

Lauren and I each take a seat on either side of Krista's bed to hold her hands. Brad and Trevor leave the three of us to go get coffee. When they return, Trevor had changed out of his scrubs and Brad hands Lauren and I our coffee.

"Sadie, do you want me to bring you a pair of scrubs to change into? You've still got blood on your dress."

"Yes please." It then dawns on me that it's now Sunday morning. "Trevor, isn't your shift starting soon?"

"I already took care of that. I'm all yours today, whatever you need." He says, pulling me in for another hug.

"Sadie, do you know who did this to her?" Lauren asks me.

"I don't know." I said shaking my head. "AJ said no one on his staff recognized him from the security footage"

"Andrew."

Our heads all snap toward Krista as she struggles to open her swollen eyes.

Tears begin to stream down Lauren and I's cheeks at the sound of Krista's strained voice. We both lean in to give her a gentle hug.

"Andrew? As in your ex Andrew? Didn't you two break up like six months ago." Lauren asked in confusion.

"We did." Krista confirms. "He cornered me near the bar begging me to take him back, but I told him "no". Then he saw me dancing with some other guy and he lost it. The last thing I remember is Andrew grabbing my wrist and pulling me to the back of the VIP area."

"I'm so sorry, Krista! I feel like this is all my fault." I sob into my hands, Trevor stroking my hair. "If I had been with you, this wouldn't have happened."

"Sadie, this is not your fault. This is Andrew's fault. In fact, I want to press charges against that asshole." Krista amazes me with her bravery considering her current state. "You should probably fill me in on what he did to me though before I talk to the police. All I know is I can barely see and everything hurts."

"An officer stopped by while you were in surgery. They said they'd come back later to get a statement from you." Lauren updated Krista.

"Don't worry about that now." Trevor tells her. "I can fill the police in on all your injuries and AJ has everything on tape, he just didn't recognize Andrew, but you've answered that question for us."

"I can call AJ and get the security footage." Lauren offers.

"Thank you all, for everything." Krista gushes. "I'm pretty worn out, I think I'm going to try to get some sleep."

"Ok, hun. We're gonna step out and get something to eat. We'll be back to check on you in a little bit." I tell her as we all step into the hallway and close her door.

Trevor disappears down the hall to grab me a pair of scrubs while Lauren goes back to the waiting room to call AJ.

"Have you thought to call Mom and Dad?" Brad asks me. "I'm pretty sure they've unofficially adopted Lauren and Krista as their own. They'd want to know about this." Brad points out.

"No, I haven't. I'll call in a little bit. Wait, so would that make Krista AND Lauren our sisters, Brad?" I smile, poking him in the ribs.

"Not cool, Sadie, not cool. Although I am relieved to see you've still got your sense of humor." He says, pulling me into a headlock.

Brad drops his arm down around my shoulder as the two of us walk toward the cafeteria to get some food. "So what's the deal with you and Trevor?"

I look up at him in shock that my brother is actually asking me about a guy. "It's nothing serious, just a few dates." I tell him, not quite sure if I'm trying to convince him or me.

"I don't know, Sis, you seem different with this one."

"How would you know, you've been away at college for the past six years."

"I can't put my finger on it. Kinda reminds me of how you used to be with Sam."

"This is nothing like Sam! HE, is nothing like Sam, I won't let him be." I trail off.

"I can tell he's not like Sam. But I can also see he makes you happy. Once upon a time you were happy with Sam too. You can't deny that, Sadie. It doesn't mean things with Trevor are going to turn out the same."

I hate when my younger brother is logical, it's so annoying.

"Just promise me you won't break up with him for no reason?" He asks. "I kinda like seeing my sister happy."

"I always have a reason; it just might not be a good reason. Fine, if it means that much to you, I'll try." I agree, rolling my eyes at him.

I'd be lying if I said that things with Trevor are just like every other guy I've been with. I can tell a difference too. It just scares me to think that I could have those feelings again. The same feelings I had for Sam. Here I thought my rules were supposed to prevent this from happening again.