Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

Considering I was in this mess now too, although I had been fine so far... I couldn't quite picture a life where I was never allowed to leave this base.

I was starting to miss the things I never thought I would. Like grocery shopping and even driving. Heck, I even missed traffic.

The elevator dinged, and the steel doors opened slowly to reveal Darius and King Kagorth. They stopped talking and nodded in greeting.

"Emily, I can assume this meeting comes as quite a shock to you. It was a shock to us all. I trust that even though you have not had much time to prepare, that you will do your best to represent the people of Nauria." The King gave me a hopeful smile. Darius nodded his agreement.

"You're not coming at all, King Kagorth?" I asked him. I hadn't been completely sure who was coming on this strange excursion.

He shook his head. "No, since I am reigning King it was decided by the council that I remain behind to watch over things here. And well..." he trailed off, almost sounding ashamed.

"And you don't know what the humans true motives are. It could easily be a trap." I answered for him.

He looked sheepish. "Yes. You are correct. They demanded to meet with Naurian Royalty. Next to me, that is the two of you. Kade is our best warrior and having you by his side will amplify his powers even further. I am confident that you both will do splendidly."

I nodded. I had figured as much. I guaranteed that Kiehiri's father had been a major deciding factor in making sure that the King remained in his grasp.

"I'm glad you believe that." I laughed, sounding every bit as nervous as I felt.

Kade placed his hand on my waist and squeezed. I knew he had been trying to calm me, but instead my body heated up in an entirely different way. I coughed, trying to focus on anything else.

Darius seemed to read my mind. "Well, I think we had best be going. It looks like our men are getting a little rough with the humans."

My eyes flicked up as I stared out the now open ship door. A group of six warriors were actually shaking the car.

I swore under my breath. "They're going to get shot if they keep doing that." I all but muttered as I stomped out the door. I peered past the muscled, dangerous Naurian men and looked in to the tinted windows of the suburban that had been waiting for us. The man inside looked like he was about to wet himself.

I sighed. Nearing them, I spoke up. "Alright, boys. I think that's enough. You're scaring the poor man inside." I stood beside the passenger door as Kade and Darius walked closer. The warriors looked like they may have been about to object to what I was saying, but stopped when they saw Kade's steely expression.

"That's enough." Kade growled, resting his arm on the top of the van above me. They immediately retreated back inside. I was sure they were going to make up for that in the arena when Kade returned.

I opened the back door and slid in. I had never enjoyed riding shot gun in any sort of taxi. I always felt the need to ask how busy they had been that night.

I wanted to roll my eyes. Ah, another human thing I thought I'd never really miss. Well actually, now that I was thinking about it... maybe that was one thing I could still go without. I doubted this guy would be permitted to do much talking with us anyways. I was sure that knowing the government, this car was likely to be bugged.

There was no way they would miss out on possible inside information from an alien species. I wondered briefly if Kade would be able to sense it if they had tried anything like that.