Inseparable

"Do you have to go?" Simon whined.

Raphael cupped Simon's face and ran his thumb against the other's cheek. He bestowed a gentle kiss on his lips.

"I'll only be gone for a few days, mi alma," Raphael replied.

Simon sighed.

"And that's a few days too many," he said. "Can't you just send someone else?"

Raphael shook his head.

"You know I️ can't. As clan leader, I️ have to deal with this," he replied.

The clan leader zipped up his suitcase before placing it on the ground. Simon got up from the bed where he was sitting. He placed a hand on the other's arm and kissed him on the cheek.

"Can you stay for just a few more minutes?" He bargained.

Raphael shook his head.

"I️ can't, I'll miss my flight," he replied.

The fledgling sighed.

"Fine. Have a safe trip."

— Despite how short of a flight it was, Raphael decided to call Simon as soon as he landed in Boston. He rationalized it by saying he was just assuring Simon that he had landed safely.

So, Raphael found himself dialing Simon's number.

The phone rang for a bit before he heard "you've reached Simon. Leave a message after the tone."

The older vampire rolled his eyes.

"Simon, I know you're there," he replied.

Simon chuckled on the other end. He was such a dork. And Raphael loved him.

"Hey Raph. Miss me already?" he teased.

Raphael rolled his eyes once again.

"No," he replied in annoyance, but Simon knew he was lying. "I️ just wanted to let you know that I️ landed."

"Uh huh. Sure you did."

Raphael was not particularly fond of Boston. It was a poorly laid out city and no one seemed to care about traffic laws.

The meetings that he had to attend were long and boring, further delayed by how disorganized the Boston clan leader was.

However, the worst of it was when he wasn't in the meetings. The worst part was lying awake during the day wishing that Simon was next to him.

One day, just as he was contemplating calling Simon, his phone rang. Speak of the devil.

"Hey Raph. I️ hope I️ didn't wake you," Simon said.

Raphael smiled.

"No, you didn't," he replied.

Simon could hear the smile in the other's voice. The two talked all day, and neither got a wink of sleep.

Whenever Raphael would call Simon, he would make up some excuse. He would ask about something or other regarding the clan. That was until his final day in Boston.

"Raph, I️ told you that if something was wrong I'd call-" the younger vampire began.

"No, mi amour, I️...I️ just wanted to hear your voice," Raphael replied.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. I️ miss you." —

Simon waited for Raphael at the airport and they ran up kissed each other like they were in a romcom. It definitely caused some people to stare, but neither of them could care less.

"Don't be gone so long next time," Simon said, still in the other's arms, in between kisses.

Raphael shook his head.

"Next time, I'm taking you with me."