Daylight

Simon missed the sun. When he was alive, he took it for granted. Now, there it was, out for the whole world but if he set foot in it's light he'd burn to a crisp.

With a trembling hand, Simon began peeling open the curtain, exposing just a bit of the vibrant light.

His other hand was shaking as it slowly moved toward the light. He bit into his bottom lip to stop himself from screaming, wincing in pain at his own burning hand, watching it as it singed.

"Simon!" he heard a stern voice say.

With that, he quickly pulled his hand back, letting go of the curtain before turning around to see Raphael getting up from the bed.

"Raph...I️ didn't know you were awake," he said.

I️n a second, Raphael was at his side.

"What were you doing?" Raphael asked, eyeing the other up and down in a way that he knew intimidated him.

Simon swallowed.

"I️t's nothing," he said, putting his still burnt hand behind his back.

Raphael gestured for Simon to let him see his hand.

Reluctantly, Simon moved his hand from behind his back and stuck it out slightly for Raphael to see. The older vampire gasped, taking the other's hand to examine it. Simon winced in pain.

Raphael let go of his hand.

"Why would you do that to yourself?" Raphael asked.

Simon looked down, unable to face the other.

"Answer me!" Raphael said, his voice low and stern.

Simon clenched his jaw.

"Because...I️ miss it. I️ miss the sun. I️ miss being alive and being human and not having to drink blood and not being a monster and being able to say you know what and not being burned by holy symbols and I...I️ just miss the sun," he explained, bursting into tears.

Gently, Raphael placed a hand under the fledgling's chin, guiding his gaze back upwards.

Seeing the other cry like that broke something in him.

Raphael didn't know exactly what to say, so he simply took the other in his arms, comforting, embracing. Simon angled his head down, resting it on the older vampire's shoulder.

Raphael stroked the other's head.

"Shhh, shhh. I know. Trust me, I know exactly how hard this is, but it's going to be okay. I️ promise that it's going to be okay."

Nothing about becoming a vampire was easy, but at least Simon was lucky enough to have Raphael by his side to guide him every step of the way.