Human

The sunrise was beautiful, but Simon hardly noticed. He swore that he could've stood there forever, basking in the majestic light that was Raphael Santiago.

There was just this look of wonder on his face that was almost magical. Raphael's eyes grew misty. When he closed them for a moment, tears of joy ran down his cheeks.

When he opened his eyes, his looked down at his hands for a minute, just looking in amazement at how they weren't burning under the rays of the sun before dropping his hands to his sides.

Simon took one of Raphael's hands in his, noticing how warm it felt. Raphael looked at Simon, smiling, before turning his gaze forward again. He shook his head pensively.

"You know, I️ never really appreciated things like this before I️ turned," Raphael mused.

Simon stroked Raphael's hand with his thumb.

"Now you have the rest of your life to," Simon said. Deep down, it was a little bit hard to think about. Simon was still a vampire, still immortal. Raphael would grow old and Simon would outlive him. Then he'd be based with an eternity without him, even though the former clan leader was the one who got him through his transition in the first place...

But then he turned to look at Raphael again, wide eyed and grinning from ear to ear and it took him out of his own head and placed him back into the present moment.

Simon was happy for Raphael. He knew that no one deserved this more than he did. Besides, Magnus and Alec seemed to make it work alright.

Maybe it was time for Simon to learn a lesson from Raphael. The older one regretted not living in the moment before he was turned, so maybe Simon just needed to not make the same mistake. Instead of worrying about the future so much, he could just be present with the love of his life.

Simon planted a tender kiss on Raphael's cheek. Raphael then leaned his head against Simon's shoulder, and the human and the daylight proceeded to enjoy the sunrise.