Chapter 5

After Gally left, I went into deep thought. What did he see in me? I wasn't pretty, I didn't make the best choices. What did he like about me? I finally decided to sleep on it. I curled up in an ball on the cold, hard "bed" I was sleeping on, to try and use my body heat to keep me warm. Before I knew it, my eye snapped shut and if had entered the land of dreams for the dark, cold night.

I was awoken by a loud screech that echoed through out the glade. I shot upwards and grabbed my bow and arrow. I slung it over my shoulder and ran out the door. The sound lead me deep into the forest. I ran around the trees, and along the path that had been cleared by the gladers over the years. My heart rate quickened but I did not dare stop. Who ever was out there, could be in pain. My eye were fixed on the path ahead of me so I did not see the the roots on the ground right where I was going to step. I stumbled and fell face first into a pile of leaves. I pushed against the ground and jumped up once again.

After about 10 minutes I came across Ben. He was standing by the maze door in the "DeadHeads," territory. His veins stuck out of his arms as he clenched his fist tight. His knuckles turned white as he clenched them. His breathing was heavy and his eyes were fixed on me.

"Ben? Are you-" he interrupted me by lunging at me. He pinned me to the ground and grabbed my throat. His grip got tighter and tighter by the minute. I started to scream," Newt!!! Anybody!!! Some-" I was interrupted by his large, meaty hand covering my mouth. I knew what I had to do. I bit his hand so hard, it began to bleed on the spot. I jumped up, ripped an arrow from my pack and let it fly. It sunk deep into his eye, but he continued to run after me. I loaded my bow and sprinted for the glade. Crash!!!

I fell to the ground with a large thud. He had grabbed my ankle and was now pulling me closer. What the heck was wrong with this guy? I turned on to my side and let the arrow sink into his shoulder. He clenched it and ripped it out. He chucked it aside and continued to run after me.I ran into the glade screaming.

"Help!!! Newt!!! Gally!!! HELP!!!" I screamed. I watched Gally, Newt, Alby, Minho and another boy that I did not know, bolt towards me.

I was yanked of my feet roughly and Ben began suffocating me again, he had ripped arrow out of his shoulder, but not his eye. The arrow hit me in the face every time he moved his head.

I gasped for air, only to receive nothing. My head began to spin. I was to weak to move so I just lay there, gasping for air. Once I thought it was the end, Ben was hit in the head and yanked of of me. I grabbed for my throat. I could BREATH!!! Gally swooped me up off the ground and carried me over to a near by bench. He sat me down and pulled me into I tight embrace. I was still in shock.

"Are you ok???" He asked. He still had his arms wrapped tightly around me petite body.

"Yes... I am fine... Just a little... Tired..." I nuzzled my head into his chest and silently cried to myself. Why would Ben do such a thing? I felt a light hand on my shoulder. It was Newt and the boy I did not know. He had short brown hair, brown eyes and a small smile that was barely a grin. He looked at me with calm eyes as I cried into Gally's chest. I slowly lifted me head an wiped the tears from my eyes. Newt sat down beside me and right away began talking to Gally.

"He was stung and this one here," he said looking at me,"Shot an arrow through his eye and shoulder. She has got pretty good aim. It sunk so deep that-"

" That is enough Newt. I am sure she has a had enough for one day." Said the boy.

"You are only saying that because you don't want to hear about it, Thomas." Newt sais in his thick, English accent. So Thomas was his name.

" Come on, Greenie. Let's get you to your room.

Wow. I had been there a week and I still didn't have a room.

Gally lead me to a small room above the "homestead." It had a small bed that was pushed against the window. The curtains danced as the soft wind blew through the open space. I walked over and sat down on my bed. I bounced around on it before collapsing on top of the covers.

Gally left afterwards so I could have some time alone. He also gave me some clothing for pyjamas and tomorrow. I received a small, grey, thick, wool hoodie, dark blue track pants and a small, light blue t-shirt. I dressed myself in the pants and t-shirt before climbing under the covers and drifting of to sleep.

Ben's attack raced through my mind. Why would he do such a thing? What did "stung" mean and what was in that maze???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey, I would like to dedicate this chapter to... Landerman03 . He gave me most of the ideas for this book. So I give a special shout out to him. Also, thank you to all of my friends who are giving me ideas for this book and I am sure there will be more to come. Can't wait to see who the next person that will give me ideas will be... You never know...

~mackaygirlTB