Chapter 20

"Lucy!!! Grab My Hand!!!" I screamed. Her tiny fingers interlocked into mine.
We ran side by side, barely escaping the grasp of the grievers tailing close behind. Every time we turned a corner, my arm collided with the cold, hard cement. Lucy's screams filled the halls as we sprinted, desperately trying to return to the glade.

"SUSAN!!! HELP!!!" Lucy screamed. I looked to my left side and realized that her tiny hand was no longer in my grasp. I stopped dead in my tracks and spun around on my heel. She was on the claws of a griever... Her skin was purple and her eyes were shut. Her body looked cold and her eye lids were purple. Oh, gosh...

Before I knew it, I was racing towards her. My arms were stretched out like I was carrying someone bridal style. I shot out at the griever and ripped Lucy from its open claws. Her body was ice cold. Her breathing was shaky and weak and her body was limp in my arms.

I spun around once more and ran back towards to exit. My legs were going as fast as they could carry me. As soon as I reached the last hall way, beads of sweat were running down my face my throat was screaming for air.

20 feet...
18...
16...

My lungs were screaming...

14...
12...
10...

My legs were collapsing...

8...
6...
4...

My heart was beating like a drum...

3...2...1...

My feet reached the grass and then my body followed quickly. Lucy fell beside me and a large gasp escaped her lips. My chest was rising and falling quickly and I was panting like a dog. My breath was shaking so much that it sounded like a broken record player.

Even though I was lying there almost unconscious, I still had one thing to smile about... I had found the exit....

*******************

-mackaygirlTB