Chapter 12

Susan POV

I sat with my back up against the fought bark of a birch tree. I studied the small cloth in my hand. How had this small handkerchief brought back all my memories. I chucked it against the tree with a thud. Wait? A thud? It was a cloth. I crawled over and picked up the handkerchief with my dainty, left hand. A small, object fell out of my grasp as I flipped the cloth upside down. Ties to the object was a small note that was written in tick, black ink.

"You need it more then I do," is what it read. On the back of the note, there was a sketch of a lion. He bared his teeth elegantly.

"Aslan," I said out loud. That was Aslan. He must have sent it to me to help me get out of the maze. I studied the object carefully. It was a compass. There was something... Different about it though. It was in the shape of a square. There was a small patch of green in the middle surrounded by multiple walls. It was the maze. There was a red dot on the west side where the cliff was. That was the way out. I jumped up and ran over to Gally. He had his head turned the opposite direction of where I was coming from. I jumped up and landed on his back. He spun around and knocked me to the ground. I winced and gasped for air.

"Oh my goodness! Are you ok, Susan!" He said pulling me to my feet.

I nodded my head and dusted my clothes off. I held out my hand witht the compass in it. he tilted his head in confusion and asked,"What the heck is that?"

"It is a compass. I think it will help us find a way out of the Maze," I said. He straightened his neck and ripped the compass out of my hand. He spun around on his heel and jogged off towards the Homestead.

"HEY! GIVE ME THAT BACK!!!" I shouted at him. I broke into a sprint and was soon hot on his tail. i grasped the back of his shirt and pulled him to the ground. I pinned his arms above his head and screamed in his ear.

"WHAT THE HECK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING WITH MY COMPASS!" I screamed. He flipped me off and jumped to his feet.

"I am taking this...thing to Alby you slinthead," he said before walking through the door of the homestead. They were going to destroy it and strow me in the slammer for sure. I heard Alby shout from inside so I bolted off towards deadheads. I ran to the nearest willow tree and scrambled to the top. I sat on a wide branch that pointed off towards the east wall. The leaves from the tree sheilded me from any one who wished to find me.

The first person who came to find me was Alby.Of course. He screamed at the top of his lungs,"IF YOU DONT GET DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW YOU SHANK, I WILL THROW YOU OFF THE NEAREST CLIFF TO YOUR DEATH!!!" HIs words sent chills down my spine but I still did not move. I waited till he marched out of the forest before i sucked in another breath.

The next to come find me was Thomas and Jordan. I did not move a muscle.

"Susan, please come back," Jordan said. He looked like he could only be about 10. He was so cute it made me want to jump down from the tree and wrap him in a hug. I could not forgive Gally for what he had done so I stayed perfectly still. Thomas and Jordan both marched back with tears in there eyes.

Last but not least, Minho came. He was smart (surprisingly) so he knew to climb up the tree. I tucked my knees to my chest to try and make myself harder to see. He had already seen me though. He set his stupid hand in my knee and his face had a wide smirk sewn to it. He draped his arm over my shoulder. His chin rested on my head and pushed it into his chest. I didn't resist.

"What did the shank do this time?" He asked. How did he know I was upset with Gally?

"He took my compass,"

"What is so special about a stupid compass?"

"It came from Narnia. It was in the handkerchief you found. It could help us get out of the maze."

"Well that is great."

"How?" I asked.

"Well, it could help us get it of the maze. Like you said."

"I guess you are right. It is just... The compass helped me remember everything. If he destroys it, we will never get out of here. Those memories will only become a dream locked away in my mind, waiting for it to be unlocked."

"We are not gonna destroy it Susan. Alby does want to speak with you though."

"Umm... No," I said sarcastically. He didn't quite catch the sarcasm though. He scooped me up and threw me over his shoulder. He jumped down from the tree with a thud which made me smack into his back. I yelped and smacked him upside the head. He continued to walk towards the homestead.

The door swung open and Alby turned to look at me.

"Well look who finally decided to show up!"