The One With the Close Call

I'd spent the entire afternoon trying to decide what exactly to tell my mother, but nothing really came to me. Neal had said he was falling for me, but what did that really mean for us in the long run. If I was going to tell her that the son of the man who killed my father was my mate, then I wanted to be certain that he and I were going to make an effort in this. 

Even then I wasn't sure how she would take the news. No, I couldn't tell her. Instead, I had stayed in my room reading the book to learn different tips and tricks to help me work out all the abilities I had, and the best way to grow them. It was a direct how to on attack and defense. The Everhart family had held positions similar to Pack Protector for generations. If not to this pack, then another, but we had been with this pack at least five generations including me. 

Darkness closed in on the day, and I heard the first wolf howl of the night from the perimeter guards. I closed the book and grabbed a new outfit from my closet. I decided to channel my inner Abbi and pulled out a blue top that was just barely see through with a black bra underneath and a black pair of skinny jeans. I fluffed out my hair and applied very light makeup. If I was going to go to the Alpha's house to meet his son, I was going to look my best, even if the Alpha wasn't there. 

Who was I kidding, I wasn't dressing up because of that, I was dressing up for Neal. 

I rubbed gloss between my lips and ran out quickly before my mom was able to give me the third degree on what I was doing. She would likely assume I was going to Abbi's. 

I made my way quickly through the pack village, making sure to avoid being seen and knocked on the back door of the Alpha's house. My heart hammered in my chest. What if Neal had been lying and only told me his parents would be gone? My mother and I had avoided this place as much as possible, and any events that weren't mandatory so as to keep ourselves off the Alpha's radar after what happened with my father. 

Neal was the one to open the door though, and the brush of his off golden hair in the light made my heart flutter in my chest. I cursed the feeling and crossed through the threshold as Neal stepped aside. 

"I'm glad you were able to make it," he said. 

I just smiled and dipped my head into a quick nod. I wasn't really sure what to say, that I was glad I made it too, that he was welcome I decided to show? Nothing really felt right. 

Neal grabbed my hand after he closed the door and spun me around to face him, pulling me close and kissing me hard on the lips. It was like he was willing to pick right up where we were at earlier and carry on. With my heart thrumming in my ears and the heat building in my body, it seemed that it was willing to pick right up as well. 

He pressed my back up against the wall, and the hard press of him against me caused my mouth to open in a gasp. he took advantage and our tongues met.

My body was on fire. 

Neal lifted me off the ground and my legs wrapped around him. That magical pull kept us connected, ensured that neither of us wanted to break the pull to each other. He began to move through the house as my fingers moved through his hair and we kissed until he was laying me onto a bed. 

I broke the kiss with a shaky breath. "I thought we were going to talk," I said. 

"What is there to talk about?" Neal asked, the hunger clear in his voice. 

"About us."

Neal pulled back, but I could still feel the skin of his hands touching the small of my back under me. It made concentrating incredibly difficult. 

"What about us?" Neal asked. 

"Are we really going to do this? You and me? For real?" My breath was a shaky whisper. My body wanted it, and my mind hoped that he did too.