The One Where it Ends?

I took a seat on the ground, trying to catch my breath. I'd actually manage to get myself winded with the training today. 

"You know, today was just the perfect last day."

Abbi crossed her arms and popped out a hip, looking down at me, "Cyn-"

"No, seriously Abs. Just let me thank you. I mean, last night with the fort and the talking about nothing for hours, for being there this morning to help me finish packing, for being here to keep me busy and spend time with me before I go, for seeing me off here soon. Thank you. 

"Between that and the picnic lunch earlier with my mom. This day has been absolutely perfect."

Abbi sighed. "I'm glad you enjoyed it." She took a seat next to me on the ground. 

The light was fading quick. It was nearly time for me to head out. Thanks to my wolf eyes, night time was a perfect time to hit the trail. 

I listened to the chitter chatter of the wild life as the day time critters were just starting to get settled in for the night, and the night light was just getting started. I wanted to travel during the night so I was more likely to be awake when the other predators were. 

"Cynthia, I really am happy and hopeful for you. I'm gonna miss you so much, but I know that the goddess will lead you where you need to be. You're on this path for a reason, and if we are meant to cross paths again, then we will. I really do hope that is the case."

Abbi had sensed it too. There was something in that last training session I'd just had. I wasn't sure what it was, but if felt like the magic was growing and expanding inside me. I'd been able to push further than before, I'd been more accurate, and everything had felt more natural. It was like there was this shift inside of me that had finally unlocked the door that held my potential, and I was finally starting to walk inside. There was an entire level to my power that I had yet to tap into, and Abbi could feel it. She didn't want to hold me back from doing whatever I needed to in order to tap into that power. It was my key to being a Mentalist that could live up to the Everhart name. 

"I really hope that's the case too, Abs."

We both sat there in silence for a few more moments until there was more darkness around us than light. 

"We should probably stop delaying the inevitable then," I said as I stood up and dusted the bottom of my pants off. 

"I suppose you're right." Abbi got up and I packed my training knives into the duffle. 

"I kind of want to try something in case of emergency," I said, looking down at the oversized duffle bag. It really did have some weight to it. 

"What's that?"

I stared down at my bag and held out my right hand at waist height, palm facing down toward the bag. I closed my hand into a fist. I raised my fist up and the bag lifted from the ground. I raised my arm until it was parallel with the ground and then took a three steps backwards. 

The bag followed me and I smiled. 

I spun around on my heel and kept my fist resting against my shoulder and started to walk forward. 

"Now I'm a bit more freed up!" I said with a grin. 

"Maybe you should have brought more stuff with you," Abbi suggested. 

"Well I didn't think about it until just now, and I wouldn't want to bring anything else anyway. If I need to get away quickly, I'm still probably going to have to leave the bag behind."

"Or you could fight, Cyn. You're clearly not powerless, and you literally have knives with you."

"You know I'm not much of a fighter."